My Imperfect Mr Perfect Chapter 4

When I woke up I looked around, feeling disorientated by the new surroundings. Suddenly, everything rushed back to me again. I noticed that the room had lights on so I figured that it was probably evening – night even. I slowly started to realise that all this was actually happening. The chase, the jump, the police officer, my supposed case – it was no nightmare! "Hey Devi Maiyya raksha karna (Hey Devi Maiyya protect me)," I prayed. "Hume kuch samajme nahi aarahaan hai. Ek ajinabipe hum vishwaas kaise karenge? Pathanahi voh sachmein hamaari mathath karnekeliye aaya hai ya phir... Koi tho raastha dikhao Devi Maiyya! Hamaari mathath karo! (I don't understand anything. How can I trust a stranger? I don't know whether he has actually come to help me or... Show me some kind of path Devi Maiyya! Help me!)"

Somewhere in my heart I trusted Arnavji quite strongly but that was the problem! Should I be trusting a stranger? It felt right but logic said pointed in the other direction. I was asking for some sort of sign from Devi Maiyya when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I jerked to look at the person to find a young, kind-looking girl looking at me with a small smile lighting up her face. "Dariye math. Arnav aapki raksha karenge. Jab voh kisiko raksha karneka wada kartha hai, tho kithna bada toofanbhi aaye, voh unki raksha karkarhee rahenge. Aapko darneki koi zarurath nahi hai. (Don't be scared. Arnav will protect you. When he promises to protect someone, no matter how big a storm comes he will make sure that he protects them. You don't have to be scared at all.)"

Arnavji. Oh yes that was his name. He was the police officer who had saved me. Where was he? Even though the words of the unknown girl made me feel slightly lighter, there were still many questions running in my head. Who was this girl? And where was Arnavji...? Hadn't he been here the last time I had woken up in this very room?

As though she understood my wordless question, she started, "my name is Sheetal. My brother works with Arnav, and you are currently in our house. Arnav brought you here because he thought it was the safest place for you at the moment." That triggered a memory – oh yes Arnavji had mentioned something about a friend's house and safety. But where was he? "You might be wondering where Arnav is – well he thought that it may be less intimidating for you if I talked to you. I don't know how he acted with you but I just wanted to tell you that... even though Arnav looks arrogant and angry on the outside, he has a heart of gold. He truly looks out for those who he vows to protect. You're in safe hands Khushi, and you are really lucky to have him assigned to your case."

I slowly took in everything the girl was saying and bit by bit my doubt was starting to decrease. Maybe this Arnavji wasn't bad after all and he really was my hero... Her words gave me hope that maybe all was not lost. But then the thoughts of my Buaji and Jiji made me worry – had they been informed of all this? Or were they looking for me? My thoughts were interrupted as Sheetal continued to speak.

"Khushi I can understand how you must be feeling right now with all the information that has been dumped on you all of a sudden. But... I just want to let you know that we're here for you, and... we don't want you to feel uncomfortable. Think of this as your own house and you can think of me as a sister," she finished with a soft smile. She reminded me of Jiji and somewhere that gave me the comfort I was seeking. I slowly smiled back at her, laying my hand on top of hers.

"Shukriya, (Thank you)" I said gratefully. "Kya hum aapko Di bulaa sakthe hain? Hume apni Jijikki bohot yaad aarahi hai. Or aaptho bilkul unkithara hai! Jab bhi hum aise pareshaan rehthe hain, bilkul aapkithara Jiji bhi aisahi humse baatkarke humaare saare pareshaaniyaanko yunhi katham karthethe hain! (Can I call you Di? I'm missing my sister a lot. And you're just like her! Whenever I'm worried, just like you she also talks to me like this and ends my worries in a second)" I said, smiling with sweet memories in my head.

"Are ye bhi koi savaal hai?! Aap mujhe hamesha Di bulaasakthe hain, or aajse ye ghar bhi aapke ghar hai. Teek hain? (Is that even a question?! You can always call me Di and this house is also yours from today. OK?)" Sheetal said with her sweet smile again. I nodded in return and felt a full-fledged smile appear on my face. For the first time today I actually felt a bit positive. And I'd found a new sister too.