My Imperfect Mr Perfect Chapter 8

I walked out banging the door shut. I strode out of the house and swiftly got into my SUV, starting to drive aimlessly on the road.

How dare she? How dare she tell me what to do when she knows NOTHING! Who did she think she was? Telling ME what to do. What did she know about that lady there? How can she tell ME to apologise when none of it was my fault?! 

Exactly, one part of my brain told me. She DOESN'T know. So how is it her fault? She was simply fighting for what she thought was right as she always did. You've been watching her for months Arnav and you know how righteous she is - to her shouting at your elders would definitely seem wrong. She was simply standing up for what she felt was right.

Maybe that's true, I thought. But what right does she have to make me... feel? How dare she make me so vulnerable?! It has been so long since someone had cared. So why now? Why did this girl have to look out for me at every chance?

It's ironic because I'm meant to be protecting her but it seems like she's the one looking after me.

Why did she have to remind of HER?

For years I had to look after myself - in fact I didn't even HAVE to because no one ever cared enough to force me to look after myself. No one would have cared if I'd lived or died. I had to stand up for myself in this cruel world - and many times I had even failed. I laughed humourlessly as memories bombarded me.

I was used to the feeling of being lonely, and eventually it got to a point where I stopped feeling altogether. I had accepted the fact that there was, is, and will be no one for me. I'd stopped expecting from life - and started to demand from it. I gradually understood how this cruel world worked and realised that if you wanted to survive alone in this world, you had to be ruthless.

There was no one you could trust - people only came to you to feed off of you and then leave you suffering. When I understood this I started to fight the world, caring about no one as I worked my way up to my position. As ASR. CEO of AR Designs. The richest man in the whole of India.

I made hundreds of people bow down before me - but I was no fool to think they were there to stay. I knew they all waited for the moment I would slip so they could push me down even further and bury me deep down into the soil, so that they could take my place. But what they didn't know was that I had gone through enough while progressing from Arnav to ASR, to be able to sprint without tripping. The Arnav who had once existed had stumbled as people threw stones in his way. But ASR didn't. And he never would.

I earned and earned and earned. I had money, fame, power and everything else a man would want from life - except happiness. No matter how much I earned I didn't feel satisfied. So I worked harder and harder, trying to fill up that void that always remained within me. It was years later that I finally realised what had been missing.

Justice.

For HER.

At that time I hadn't been able to save her. I had been too weak, and that feeling had shred my heart into pieces, never to be put back together again. Years later, the distress of not having been able to save my loved one gnawed at me.