My Imperfect Mr Perfect Chapter 12 (Part I)

Last night's sleep was the most peaceful sleep Arnav had had in years. After his mother's death, he had always been restless in his sleep. 3 hours was probably the maximum he would sleep before he would wake up. And if he tried to go back to sleep, he always ended up with nightmares haunting his dreams. So Arnav always busied himself with work as soon as he woke up from his sleep.

However last night was a different story altogether. After years of locking up his grief, he had finally let out the hurt and pain he had been holding in. He finally got the chance to lament his mother's death. He had finally cried out his pain.

Finding out about Khushi's interaction with his mother had made Arnav feel at peace. Even though he did feel embarrassed about hugging Khushi and breaking down on her like that, he couldn't deny that it had felt good when she had soothed him silently. Her unspoken support as she had run her hands through his hair comfortingly had meant a lot to him. More than she could ever imagine.

Her gesture had reminded him of his mother. The way Khushi had run her fingers through his hair - it was almost exactly the same way his mother used to do it whenever he was upset or angry. Her warmth was similar to that of his mother's. For Arnav it was almost like having his mother coming back in the form of Khushi. He was so overwhelmed by happiness and relief that he hugged Khushi without a second thought. The tears that followed were of the pain he had gone through in all these years, and the relief of having a part of his mother come back to him.

Arnav remembered when he was a teenager his mother had started to talk about this girl who she met daily. His mother was always talking about the girl and telling him how lovely she was. She had also mentioned that she wanted him to meet her one day and that he would love her. And he had believed her, feeling excited to meet this girl.

But that was when his life hadn't turned upside down along with his mother's. Soon things changed and situations became disastrous. The hurricane that had shaken his life locked out all memories of the girl along with the other sweet memories of his mother.

But now after meeting the girl, Khushi, everything came flooding back to Arnav. But he was no longer the same Arnav he was all those years ago. He was no longer that innocent mamma's boy who believed in God, love and all that bakwaas' (rubbish).

He tried to get up but then realised that his hand couldn't move because something was holding it down.

He then turned to find that Khushi was sleeping on his hand. He felt sorry for her. The things the poor thing had been put through. She was already having a hard time away from her home, handling his mood swings, handling Dadi's hatred, and now handling the news of a close one's death.

Arnav kept gazing at Khushi's calm face with admiration. Before, he had felt a strange connection with Khushi, and he somehow knew she was... different. But now, she was more than that. More than just different.' She was precious. And he was going to make sure that he protected her. Anything that comes for her would have to face him first. He would rather die than let anyone harm her.

According to Arnav, Khushi was his God-sent gift - oh sorry no, he didn't believe in God. Let me rephrase: According to Arnav, Khushi had been sent into his life by his mother. And he was going to treasure her. He may have failed to protect his mother, but he wouldn't let history repeat itself again. He vowed to himself that he would protect Khushi no matter what.

On the other hand, Khushi woke up feeling absolutely horrible. When she opened her eyes her throat was dry and her head was pounding. She just thought it was one of those bad days, but a few seconds later last night's events came rushing back to her.

Ratna Maa was no more.

Why was it that everyone she loved always left her? First her parents, and now Ratna Maa. Did she not deserve any love?

It was hard for Khushi to face the reality that her Ratna Maa was no longer alive. She could still feel that mother's touch, her warmth, her love.

Why did Devi Maiyya have to take away all the good people on this Earth?

Ratna Maa had been Khushi's pillar of strength after her parents had died. She had been the one to slowly bring back the real Khushi. She had been the one who had slowly taken Khushi out of her misery. She had taught Khushi to embrace reality rather than live in denial. She had taught Khushi that being optimistic was the best way to live. No matter how many obstacles come in your life, it is up to you to decide whether you want those obstacles to steal your smile or not - and that we should always try our best to persevere forward in life with a smile.

As she recollected her moments with Ratna Maa, looking up blankly into the ceiling, Khushi couldn't do anything to stop the tears which ran down her cheeks, falling onto her pillow, Arnav's arm.

Arnav watched as Khushi opened her eyes and the first thing he saw was her eyes which were swollen from all the crying last night. Seeing her state, he felt a twinge in his heart. He watched on as she stared up at the ceiling with no real expression. She still hadn't noticed him. Soon tears sprouted out of her eyes, cascading down her cheeks, piercing his heart. He knew what she was going through - after all, he had gone through the same grief. The only difference was that she cried out her pain whereas he had locked it all in.

When he felt her tears collect on his arm, he couldn't take her pain anymore, so he reached out with his free hand and wiped away her tears carefully.

Khushi got startled at first feeling the fingers wiping her tears away, but within a fraction of a second she figured out who the person was. After all she could recognise this touch anywhere.

She turned her head around to find Arnav shaking his head at her, gesturing her not to cry.