Chapter 48

"What the?!" Arnav exclaimed. "Khushi what the hell are you on about? Why would you stay with Buaji from tomorrow?"

"Because the case is now over and I should go back to my house," Khushi said.

"This is your house damn it! And what do you mean the case is over so you can go home? Then what about us?" he gritted.

"But Arnavji it's not right for me to stay here anymore. I have to stay in Buaji's house until our marriage na?" Khushi said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

Arnav froze as he heard the word 'marriage.'

"Khushi I don't believe in marriages. And you are staying with me. Period."

***************************************************

And this time it was Khushi's turn to freeze.

No marriage?! How can she stay with him without marriage?! That was against all the morals and values she was ever taught.

She didn't want to fight with him because she knew that if he didn't believe in marriages, there must be some reason or another for that.

"B-but Arnavji, why?" she asked, mustering up some courage. "Why don't you believe in marriage?"

"Because marriage kills the love between two people. It ruins their lives completely," was all he said, looking at the wall with his jaw set tight.

"But Arnavji why do you think that? Marriage is a sacred ritual that joins two people together. It's a life-long commitment that makes life beautiful. It... It gives them complete rights over one another..."

"Khushi no matter what you say, I am NOT going to marry you and spoil what we have," he said adamantly.

"But–"

"KHUSHI I SAID NO!!!" he yelled, making Khushi flinch, tears stinging her eyes hearing his harsh tone.

Hiding her tears from him by looking down, she got off his chest and lay on her side of the bed, facing the other side.

Arnav shut his eyes, inwardly reprimanding himself for being so harsh on her. But he just couldn't even think of marrying her. Because what they shared right now was the most beautiful thing he'd ever experienced, and he would not let a fake institution like marriage ruin it.

"Khushi," he called out softly.

But there was no reply.

Khushi simply lay still with her eyes closed. There was no point in talking to him, she knew. He wasn't even ready to listen to her point of view. And neither was he ready to tell her what made him think this way about marriage. She was too tired to try and fight him on this.

"Khushi I know you're not sleeping," he said, desperately wanting to apologise to her... "Khushi, I–"

"Arnavji, it's been a very exhausting day for me as well as you. I'm very tired and I just want to sleep, and I think you should too. We can talk about all this later," she said softly, making sure that he couldn't see or hear the silent tears that now ran down her cheeks.

But Arnav wasn't stupid – although she tried to sound calm, he could hear the sadness in her voice. And why wouldn't she be sad? He'd shouted at her after all. For no valid reason.

He wasn't about to let her continue crying – he had to tell her why he was the way he was, he decided. It was going to be hard for him to relive it all, but he had to. For her. For him. For them.