|21|

Chase

I don't know what I was thinking, I just took control over my wolf's need to push the ass away from my mate. I should've just done that, but instead I felt it was necessary to get payback.

Cassandra kissed her ex boyfriend. And what do I do? I kiss the girl trying to replace her. Don't get me wrong, it was honestly hard to make myself look like I enjoyed kissing her because my wolf was making me shrink back in disgust from kissing anyone other than my mate. And the worst part was watching Cassandra run out of the school in sobs, every single eye watching her, knowing that I hurt her.

June sure enjoyed it. The kiss, the pain it put on my mate.

I mean, what was I thinking? How could I let my alpha blood take over to get revenge like that instead of using the jealousy and anger the mate bond was feeding me to fight the bastard off? I could have just made her kiss me to get that mutts scent off of her and talked over the situation. Goddess, I'm such a dickhead.

"Chase, she isn't at the pack house or Ameth's house. We can't catch her scent either because its raining." One of the pack warriors explained. I nodded, continuing my pacing in the back room of the school office.

"I don't know where she could have gone." I muttered, biting my lip. Goddess, I hate that I let the alpha in me control my actions, because in the end it hurt my own damn mate. When the door burst open, it caught both of our attention.

"Excuse me for the outburst, but a local wolf caught sight of a crying girl running into the forest this afternoon from a distance. We believe it was her."

"Which side of the forest?"

"Southern end." Something about the southern border of the forest triggered a memory, something I'm guessing I should have remembered. What's in the southern part of the forest?

"Send search groups that way, go as far as you need to and come back either with her or with another clue." I ordered without second thought.

"Sorry, but maybe she just needs time to collect her thoughts." The warrior from earlier said, and both the intruder and I turned to him confused.

"I mean, girls are quite emotional when it comes to catching your mate kissing another girl whereas we just get angry. And from what I've learnt, girls need some time to cool off." 

"She's had two hours! No sign of her, and I'm getting worried. I'm order search groups now, and if it isn't enough cool off time for her then she can stick it." I hissed. Okay, so maybe this distance from Cassandra was getting to me? Didn't matter really, my wolf just needed to make sure our mate was safe home.

"I'll come with you." I cleared my throat and brushed past the two boys out the door. Only one thing was on my mind and that was to get Cassandra back.

Cassandra 

I looked around at the house that never changed. I would have thought that he would ditch this hideout but turns out he's an idiot. I'm surprised Chase didn't get somebody to arrest him for what he did, me being his mate and all.

"Sentimental meaning behind this house?" I asked, not daring to look back at his ice blue eyes.

"Sure."

"Where can I stay?" I asked above a whisper.

"I guess coming from heartbreak needs time to jump to another person, so it will be across from mine." Thank the goddess he isn't being forceful, but I still needed to remember that he is dangerous. I don't know why I came here and what went across my mind, but I don't think I would be able to get out even if I wanted to.

"Do you have a towel?" I asked. I got no response, but his feet moved across the wooden floors and down a small narrow hall. He returned with a simple black towel and I smiled, taking it from him generously.

Thoughts spun through my mind. Why was I smiling at him? Why was I giving myself to him? Probably because he seemed like he was the only one that wouldn't hurt me out of the others, but truthfully I felt safer with Chase.

"Thanks, Xander." Words I never thought that would leave my lips. But hey, who stepped into a new part of life? A new side? He did his crooked side smile and breathed out.

"What happens when you find your mate?" I quickly covered my mouth after I realised I said that and his face immediately dropped.

"She's dead." He replied hoarsely.

"Sorry."

"Go to your room and get comfortable. There are some leftover clothes in the closet." I nodded and walked up the steps with the towel in hand, then went into the room. I then closed the door behind me, just for safe measures.

Maybe I should go back, I mean now's my chance, right?

Chase doesn't love you.

Where did that thought come from?

Nobody can love you.

Maybe.

No.

I looked at the clothes pondering. No, this isn't a place to be loved either. I don't feel secure here like I thought I would.

I dropped the towel and ran to the window, my fingers searching for the unlock. Once I found it I threw the window up, swinging my legs over the edge. I looked back at the room, knowing this was just a mistake. And from there I let myself fall from the building, landing just barely on my feet.

And I ran. Farther away from my pack, farther away from my problems. But no matter how far they will always catch up.

That's because I'm in the center of it all.

"Xander's house! This is where he kept her captive last time! Maybe he found her!" Max, the warrior from earlier, exclaimed. He started running up the path with me close behind.

The other boys followed but stayed behind us. Once we reached the front I slammed into the door, it falling off its hinges like it did last time. Xander jumped up from a couch, looking surprised.

"Where is she?!" I barked.

"I-I,"

I ignored him and ordered the boys to search the house.

"Wait!" Xander said over the commotion. I turned my hard stare to him, waiting for his threats that usually followed.

"What?"

"She came to me." He said with no hint of aggression laced in his words. That simple sentence stung, but I ignored it as I watched his head fall, defeated.

"She's in her room at the end of the hall on the left." He whispered, and ran up the stairs, following his instructions.

I could find her scent lingering from outside the door, so I opened it up, hopeful and excited to find my mate, but the room was empty.

The lone window was opened, the white curtains flowing gracefully around from the sides of the frame.

She's gone.

•••