|23|

Chase 

A roar left me immediately as I saw she wasn't there. It startled some of the men, and I could tell Xander was going to be terrified. He knew something was wrong now.

I stormed out of the vacant room and down the stairs, immediately walking up to Xander, who looked scared shit-less I might add, and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, pressing him against the wall.

"You lied. She isn't in any room." I growled. Xander frantically shook his head, holding his hands up to his sides in surrender.

"I didn't know she left! I swear to the goddess!"

"Explain now." I growled, irritated. I may deserve this for kissing June, but right now my wolf was taking over my thoughts and actions, seeing as his mate is nowhere to be found.

"She came here, her eyes were red and puffy and she told me that she was wrong and that you couldn't love her," he started, but I interrupted him with a low growl at his words. They hurt, to think she thought I couldn't love her.

"So she asked if she could live with me and I, being a good person, let her in. She asked for a towel, which I gave her, and then I told her she can go change and get dried off in that exact room. Then you came shortly after she went up there."

"Shit." I cursed under my breath. "She went out the window. Start heading down South again." I ordered, letting Xander go.

"You didn't try to hurt her, did you?" I growled and he quickly shook his head.

"I would never."

"Funny, because that's exactly what you did awhile ago. We'll be back to finish your crime." With that I then turned and bolted out the back door behind my group.

Her scent was still slightly fresh in the air, and that only pushed me to run faster.

-------

"Where the fuck is she?!" I grumbled, trying to take slow deep breaths.

"It's just confusion clouding her thoughts. She's hurt and she's lost in her mind." Max reasoned.

You hurt her.

Oh shut up, it's your possessiveness that drove my mistake. That shut my wolf up.

"We need to rest, we've been running for the whole night." Another complained. I ran a hand through my messy hair, completely a mess in my mind too.

"I can't-" I started, but multiple howls in the distance caught all our attention. All heads turned to me.

"I think there are rogues among us." Max stated, slowly standing up from the rock he was resting on. The others stood with him, and my heart began to pick up pace.

"We wouldn't be able to fight them. We're trackers, not all of us are warriors." Someone stated.

"What if they howled because they found Cassandra?" That caught my attention.

"If we can't fight we should go see what's going on from a distance." Murmurs of approval rang throughout the group, so I started to make my way where the howls took place. As we got closer to where the howls took place, war cries became audible.

"There's a fight." Max whispered beside me. 

"Get up in the trees." I ordered. Everyone started to climb a tree. Instead of following actions myself, I decided to get closer before I hid so I could see what was happening.

I could see figures lying around, so I climbed a tree as silently as possible. I jumped tree to tree, experience from training, as I edged closer and closer to the scene.