|22|

Cassandra

Branches were constantly swatting at my arms, leaving small scratches that would heal moments later. Dead leaves were always crunching every step I took, and the wind was whipping at my body. Running for the rest of that night, and now walking in the morning. As far as I can get, somewhere that I can be loved, accepted.

One place only

What?

One

I stopped in my tracks, blankly looking down. Maybe I can't be loved. Maybe this was all a dream I played out perfectly for myself, but for it to be soon awakened.

A wave of negativity went through me, lingering inside. I can only be loved in one place, but where? Wait, how did I hear that? Who told me?

Howls caught my attention ahead, snapping my head up. Wolves stopped and tilted their heads, eyes red as wine. Rogues.

They snarled as I stood their emotionless. The biggest wolf stepped forward and then shifted to human form. His brown hair was ruffled up in a mess, but in a kind of sexy way. There was light stubble on his jaw and his brown eyes glinted red. I ignored his lack-of-clothing.

"Going somewhere, pup?" He chuckled and some other rogues behind him shifted as well. A low growl erupted in my chest, leading him to smirk in amusement.

"We were just heading where you came from. I can smell you belong to that damn Alpha Dawn's pack." He snarled. I rolled my eyes and sighed.

"Just leaving." I reminded. He chuckled lightly.

"Wouldn't mind a little practice fight for my group, right?" He asked, a mischievous glint in his eye.

"Sir," one of the closest rogues to him interrupted, but I sensed he held some authority.

"What?" He snapped. The boy behind him glanced at me with something in his eyes.

"She's the one everyone's hunting down." What? Me? Who's hunting me? Shock, surprise, and glee all shown through the man's eyes at this newfound information.

"What are you talking about?" I asked straightforwardly and they both turned their attention back to me.

"I thought you would know." The man sneered.

"Yeah, well apparently everyone knows but me." I rolled my eyes, but he growled. The boy looked back to the man, speaking up again.

"She can be useful, you want her on our side."

"Keep dreamin' buddy." I huffed. "There's a line."

"You want to know why you're so special to everyone, little bitch?" The man hissed.

"Doesn't it look like it?" I hissed back.

"You're the Dark Wolf." The boy rushed out and the man shot him a warning look.

"What the hell is that suppose to mean?" I asked, clearly not taking it.

"You bringing hope to the darkness of this world. To the 'evil' you might say. Or you can say badass side of the world, but I mean it sounds more epic if you say evil." The boy blushed at his input, but stepped back in his place.

"Explain." I demanded.

"Like the White Wolf is good, but the Dark Wolf is evil, understand?"

"I'm not evil, losers, see you on the other side." I did a fake salute and turned to leave, but multiple growls stopped me. "What do you want?!"