|45|

Chase

After running for miles my wolf grew exhausted. He just started to trot along the trees.

I didn't know what my wolf was doing. He was determined, I'd give him that, but all he would tell me is to trust his instinct, even though our instinct is technically the same, but I just stayed silent after his reply.

Maybe I'm not doing enough to find my mate.

My wolf let us out a growl. Our mate he reminded.

Excuse me, our mate. But I feel guilty knowing that Cassandra is with a lunatic who thinks he can change her pure heart to one of darkness. Yeah, she may be the Dark Wolf through a prophecy but that doesn't make her out to be evil exactly. It's all based on how weak or strong a person is. The weak fall for darkness once it consumes them, but Cassandra, my beautiful Cassandra, was strong enough to remember to fight it, and I'm pretty sure she's the first to do so.

In the usual stories you would think things would be positive, but with Cassandra it's quite the opposite. I admire how strong she is.

I miss her. Once I get her back she is whisked away from me again, and in that short time I have with her I'm too strict, and I let that overtake my happiness that she is safe with me. And then reality comes and teaches me a damn lesson. Don't take what you have for granted. I took Cassandra's presence for granted, and then when I was too strict and possessive she was kidnapped.

Suddenly my wolf perked, all senses kicking on. That scent. It was too familiar, and man was it flooding my mind.

My wolf took off sprinting, darting tree by tree. He stopped when he spotted something out of place in he forest, and then I could only think, hear, and smell this scent.

When we got near it was clear it was a body. Looking closely, I recognized the features.

I found Cassandra.

Currently I was sitting in an uncomfortable chair next to the hospital bed Cassandra was on. She still hasn't awakened, but I knew why.

Apparently the doctors found a gash on the back of her head, and they assume she hit her head falling down the cliff I found her next to. Sounded reasonable, but when Cassandra woke up I would ask her what happened to be sure she isn't in danger. Damn, I'm doing it again.

My eyes were slowly closing, the silence and the soothing sound of her heart monitor. Shuffling made my eyes snap open, and I saw Cassandra's petite body squirming.

"Please, I didn't ask for this. I don't want this!" Her smooth voice pleaded softly.

"Cass, are you awake?" I asked concerned.

"Lucifer, no! Don't you dare come near me with that knife!" She raised her voice, and I got up to find a nurse.

"I won't let you take my mate bond away!" She screeched from inside the room. A woman was walking by, and I grabbed her arm.

"Cassandra is having a nightmare, she needs help." I informed, and she nodded frantically, going inside. I nervously watched Cassandra squirm while the nurse did things I couldn't understand. Finally, the nurse injected something into her arm, and Cassandra stilled.

"Thanks."

"Not a problem. I'll fetch the doctor so he can inform you on her status." She smiled, and I nodded. Once she was gone I sat back down in the seat next to the bed and looked at her still body. She looked so gone. Past this life. Dead. I didn't like it.

The door opened and a man walked in. He had a natural frown and crease lines on his forehead from possible stress or aging.

"Mr. Dawn, good to see you."