|49|

For an hour the whole pack sat in silence waiting for a sign. There would be an occasional sneeze or cough, and a crying baby, but otherwise no one spoke. We were all too afraid.

Ameth and Mandy came to check on me, asking a million questions a second. Chase told them I needed space, after what just happened. They had understood and left to their own families.

My eyes were drifting, closing at their own tired accord. My head was resting on Chase's lap, as his hand stroked my hair. Before my eyes could close, the power went out, and the lights shut off. The pack immediately expressed their thoughts and worries, but Chase helped me off the ground slowly without speaking a word. I looked around at the ceilings, but I couldn't see since my eyes haven't adjusted yet.

"Silence!" A voice boomed over the intercom. Chase pulled me closer, wrapping his arms around me as a protective instinct.

"I'm only here for Cassandra, and if she is handed to me peacefully, nobody here will get hurt." The voice lowered into a more demonic sound. "And you wouldn't want to be a part of my games." Everyone went frantic. "Now, leave her outside, and I'll take care of the rest." The intercom shut off, and people started yelling at each other.

A roar silenced everyone, and we all looked up at the Alpha on the stage.

"There's an argument to give this tormentor our future Luna, and to not give her to him." He started, but a voice in the crowd interrupted.

"She's no use! Sacrifice her!"

"To the devil? No, we must protect our future Luna!"

"A Luna should sacrifice herself to protect her pack, not the other way around!"

"It's what she's here for anyways!"

"Where's that girl?"

"Find her! Push her out the door!"

"She's back here!"

The crowd turned to me, and I started to panic. They inched forward, all swarming me. Some came forward to push me out the door, but Chase would growl loudly at them.

"ENOUGH!" The Alpha roared. They all stood still.

"Cassandra isn't the Luna yet, she isn't to protect the pack. She's just a teenager that isn't ready to take on this responsibility yet and we shouldn't force her to do this."

"But it's her problem!"

"I'll go." I spoke, and all the heads turned to me.

"Cassandra..." Chase started.

"No, Chase stop. I bring so much trouble to our pack, and I don't want to harm them all. I wouldn't stand myself if they all got hurt because of me. This is my problem, and I need to stop it."

"But-" I kissed him. "I'll be fine." I quickly removed myself from his side, knowing he wouldn't let me go. I ran out the front doors, watching everything around me. A breeze whipped at my hair, blocking my vision when a voice spoke.

"Finally cooperating, huh?" I turned to Lucifer, who was very close.

"Depends."

"You know, I went through all this trouble, and you not obeying is very disobedient."

"Who said I was to obey you?"

"Hmm, let me think. Ah! I did, now we have a lot to go over." He reached for my hand, but I flinched back. His eyes switched to blue almost instantly when he saw my reaction.

"Don't be scared of me."

"I can't help it."

"I can't stand you being afraid of me." He tucked my hair behind my ear, and my heart rate sped up. I didn't like this.