17. Welcome to Storybrooke

✖️✖️✖️✖️

✖️✖️✖️✖️

Astrid was in the park with Stormfly and Hiccup; It was the day that they were leaving and also the day where she had to make the choice to stay or leave.

Astrid rested her forehead against Stormfly's face, one hand under her chin and the other on the side of the dragon's face; Both of their eyes closed as they prepared to part ways again.

"You sure you don't want to come with me?" Hiccup asked, not wanting to leave his best friend behind. "These people, your birth family, they seem to not really appreciate you."

Astrid sadly smiled, her eyes watery, as she softly commented, "Families can be hard. But, despite everything, they are your family, and when someone comes along and threatens that bond, you'll do anything to defend it... You never give up on family. Ever."

She removed the betrothal necklace around her neck reluctantly, a single tear sliding down her face. "Here." Astrid placed it inside of his hand and closed his hand for him, but still held his closed hand in hers.

"You live your life, and I live mine. I know you're out there, and I'm out there too..." Hiccup began, "Someday?"

Astrid smiled a little and nodded, "Someday."

"Can you change your mind now and come with me?" Hiccup lightly asked.

"Sorry, but no." Astrid answered also lightly, "May we meet again, Hiccup Haddock."

"May we meet again, Astrid Hofferson." Hiccup replied while mounting the dragon beside them as he now sat on the saddle on Stormfly's back.

"Take care of Stormfly for me." Astrid commented as Hiccup assured, "I will."

Astrid watched the two of them fly high into the air and soar at mech speed and into a portal back to Berk.

That's when Astrid began to cry. It hurt more to watch another loved one just leave like that, like it was so easy.

"I chase your love around a figure eight, I need you more than I can take." Peter and the Lost Boys watched Astrid sing and dance around the camp while she finished the final touches of their defenses, "You promise forever and a day and then take it all away."

"Never knew you could sing like that, love." Pan spoke up with his usual smirk on his face as the Lost Boys smiled.

Astrid looked over at them sheepishly but quickly smirked and replied, "You never asked."

The Lost Boys then carried on with their games or their training as Peter stepped over to the girl, his hands clasped in front of him.