19. Lacey

✖️✖️✖️✖️

✖️✖️✖️✖️

Henry sat at the counter, his chin resting on his folded arms on top of the surface of the countertop, thinking of what it could be. Emma moved over to him and noticed his thinking face and spoke up, "What's up, Kid?"

"What's up with Astrid? She's... different, not the same." Henry answered reluctantly.

Emma sighed and sat in the chair beside him and carefully began to explain, "She's sort of lost who she is-- or wants to be. And she lost her hope. Maybe if you spend more time with your aunt, some of your hope will rub off on her." She added the last part in a light humor way.

"I'll call it Operation: True Astrid." Henry assured while standing up from his seat with a grin and then ran upstairs and to Astrid's room.

The eleven year old knocked on the door and then pushed it open after discovering that it was cracked open already. "Hey, we need to talk, A..." He began once he saw Astrid who was sitting in her bay window.

"What's up, buddy?" Astrid lightly replied, moving her eyes away from the window and glanced over at her nephew.

Henry took a deep breath and then stepped over to her before saying, "You're so busy trying to be what everyone wants you to be that you don't know who you are, right? Well, you can't just sit there and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love."

"They told you I don't know who I am anymore?" Astrid comment, her face blank.

"And that you lost your hope as well." Henry added as he sat down beside her in the window seat.

Astrid slowly nodded while replying, "Buddy, I know you can't control your twisted need to fix people's lives... I'm fine believing that nothing much is going to happen for me. Otherwise, I'm full of hope. You hope for things, you get disappointed."

"Believing and hope are two very powerful things." Henry stated, "You know the thing I most believe in and put my hope towards? It's you."

Astrid glanced over at him curiously and inquired, "How is it possible that you can still have hope for me?"

"Hey... I have hope for something four billion miles away." Henry answered with a smile, referring to his belief that Pluto is a planet even when science says it's not.

Astrid smiled a little and nodded. "Not bad, Bud." She pushed him softly as he laughed lightly.

"So, until you find your hope again, I'll just have to hope enough for the both of us." Henry grinned while laying his head on his aunt's shoulder as she laid the side of her head on his. "I love you, Astrid."