37. Quiet Minds

✖️✖️✖️✖️

✖️✖️✖️✖️

Astrid moved downstairs in the middle of the night, wearing blue plaid pajama pants and a black spaghetti-strapped tank top.

She couldn't sleep, but everyone else seemed like they weren't having any problem sleeping and were sound asleep in their beds still.

Astrid moved behind the counter and fixed her a glass of water just as she heard a chilling voice speak up from behind her, successfully startling her, "What's the matter? Not happy to be back home with this family?"

Astrid stiffened and quickly turned to face her dark double. "What— I-I thought-?" She breathlessly began.

Dark Astrid smirked, saying, "What? Got rid of me? Oh, sweetie, it's gonna take a lot more to get rid of me." She chuckled some.

Astrid looked over to where her parents' bed was in the corner of the apartment to find them still sleeping and glanced back at her evil double. "What do you bloody want exactly?"

"Besides your destiny being fulfilled? Hmm..." Dark Astrid remarked and pretended to think about it for a second, "Now, that you ask, I want you to be completely and utterly destroyed."

Astrid tightly gripped the edge of the counter behind her with her hands, trying to even her breathing. "But you're me-"

"Yes, but I'm every bit of your darkness. And the more that you hurt or feel pain, the stronger I become." Dark Astrid explained, still with her smirk on her face, "So, when I get even stronger, I will come out and play again."

"No, you bloody won't," Astrid muttered.

"When I do, and I will, I'm going to kill every one of your friends and your precious little family-" Dark Astrid chuckled and continued, "One by one, slowly and painfully."

"Leave them bloody out of it," Astrid begged, "They have nothing to do with this!"

"On the contrary, they have everything to do with it," Dark Astrid replied, "After all, they mean everything to you."

"Please," Astrid whispered, her eyes becoming watery. Dark Astrid moved her mask back over her face and slid her hood back over her head before disappearing.

Astrid stood there and quietly cried, stifling her sobs to not wake anyone up by holding her palm to her mouth.

"Astrid?" A groggy male voice spoke up as he stepped into the kitchen also, "What are you doing awake?"