Chapter 30: Happy Birthday... I Guess

As the applause died down I was led around the room. The number of people looking at me made me feel like some sort of freakshow. I was, however, really happy that my family had made me a birthday party.... Well it wasn't my birthday.. But the previous Yuki's.

The conflicting emotions swirled along the inside of my chest.

[ I am really not good with people ]

I thought back to my last birthday on earth, my best friend had dropped by and gave me a present, it wasn't anything too exciting just a new shirt. I was so amazed that every year he would remember. I had also written in my diary his birthday, it was exactly one month after mine.

I had memorised it when I was younger but I figured if he were to ever find my diary he couldn't find anything that would give away my emotions. Was it weird to remember someone's birthday like I had?

Back on Earth I always worried about stupid things like that... being hated by him used to be my number one fear as dumb as that was.

He had some part-time work to attend to at the time so I sat in the apartment that my parents found for me, alone, watching reruns on television.

I was pretty used to not celebrating so it had not hurt me as much as you would think.

I was okay with being alone totally numbed to the idea of being cared about. I vaguely remember my father calling me that day. I think he wanted to congratulate me but it ended up boiling down into an argument about getting married and not achieving enough in my life. Like it always did. I know he tried to love me in his own way but he couldn't be there in a way that I actually need him.

I snapped myself out of my own thoughts.

[ Who are these people? ]

Ministers and their wives, merchants and everyone who was considered anyone all lined up in their best clothes, illuminated by the chandeliers on the ceiling. I could smell the competition of the various perfumes in the air making me ill as my nose tried its best to cease working.

My new father looked at me. I stood stiff like a taunt bow trying my best to give the new faces a positive first impression of me. We spent more time than I cared to imagine walking around as I introduced myself again and again like a broken record stuck on repeat.

[ Robots should replace these formal greetings! ]

I had received quite a few compliments on my outfit, especially the design on the back. I thought back to kibbles who had still yet to wake up. I decided to check on him as soon as I could escape.

There were two families in particular that stood out for me. The first were the owners of the Sakura Medicinal Center, the Takahashi family. I watched as a young man around my body's age gave me his best noble bow as his sister had hid behind a folding fan and blushed.

The boy's name was Itsuki and the daughters was Sakura, named after the very medical center that her family was running. His short dark ebony hair slicked back into a perfectly clean gentleman's cut, everything from his clothing to his accessories screamed the appearance of a rich young master. His skin was a dark sun-kissed shade of brown as well as he sported bright blue eyes, soothing like the color of a clear sky.

What surprised me the most, however, was the dark eye bags that sat right above his cheeks, dark enough to almost hardly miss them.

[ For such a young kid to be working so hard I feel sorry for him ]

I looked over at his sister and I could tell she also had a dark complexion similar to her brother, she also had dark hair as well. However she had many ornaments on the top of her head. Enough to make her look like she was a walking display case full of fancy items just for show. Each piece, even from my non discerning eye, could tell they were worth a fortune.