Chapter 71: Sweet And Stupid

" Oh sweet melody, whisper in the ears of soldiers, cry o' heart for fathers, brothers and sons,

Weep for women and weep for men, The war beat drums the war beat drums" The first prince took a deep breath after he finished reciting a poem.

Prince Nathaniel, Princess Rosali and I all clapped as I eyed off the sweets on the table. Rosali was gripping my arm like a vice unable to let me go, most likely wondering if I would slip away again should she turn her head.

We had spent a good chunk of this morning practicing the many forms of aristocrate entertainment while work from the maids and butlers was being carried out near us in the back garden.

We had done everything from sword fighting, to reciting poetry which we were doing now. We had also done a few paintings.

The theme was magic.

Rosali had drawn a magic event known as " the magic merger" It looked a lot like an aurora borealis. I found out what happened was that the yin and yang energy in the atmosphere would be projected from the light of the sun in certain spots, the royal family would go and visit on holidays.

Nathan painted a "spirit river". It was where a high earth energy river would meet a high water energy sea. It reminded me of when back on Earth fresh water would mix with salt water making brackish areas. A spirit river would change colours in particular spots. Nathan was the best at painting, it was so vivid I felt like I could step inside it.

Leopold on the other hand drew a magic battle scene. Fire and water magic were flying everywhere from two grand spirit beasts. The looks on each of the beasts were very pained. I felt sad looking at it.

Mine was too embarrassing to show people so I tried my best to hide it. Rosali was finally able to stare at my painting and she starting laughing. No one would make out what it was I blushed in embarrassment.

I have never really been artistic, I couldn't explain that it was when Cupid had saved my life from the darkness and the massive animal that had come and burned away the darkness so I merely said that I couldn't think of anything.

Only Nathan took my painting said stared at it a little longer trying to figure it out. It was kind of him but I couldn't wait to get it back and throw it in a fire.

I also had to listen to Rosali tell me off for running away and saying that they, Rosali, Nathan and Leopold would all support me no matter what. I found it all rather bittersweet what they were saying.

They were in some ways equal parts the walkway to my own personal gallows and a dagger that could unbind my arms to set me free. I had glanced at Rosali a few times wondering if, should the moment ever arrive, She would be able to let me go.

I honestly couldn't see it.

Being her only real friend her whole life and being raised to marry just me had taken a toll on her. How could I expect her to change her ways when she was raised, taught and fed enough garbage from both our families to think that I was the only way to her happiness.

I honestly felt bad for her.

This morning as they arrived they gifted me a new sword for some reason. I had no need of a new sword. This particular sword was one laced with fine jewels. It was completely useless to use and could at best be used an a paperweight. I decided to ask grandfather to mount it on the wall.

I thought worse comes to worse and high school doesn't work out I could always sell it off.

" What are they building over there? " Leopold asked as he sat down to sample some of my grandfathers tea.