Chapter 57: Paying The Favor Forward

*** Ki's Perspective ***

[ I never thought I would be sitting on top of a tea house spying on a child. ]

" Hey Ren, where do you think the young master is going?" I whispered to the boy next to me.

Ren and I were laying on top of the rooftop in common outside clothes wearing masks and snacking on some breakfast buns. It was really uncomfortable following young master last night. My heart kind of twinged seeing the look on his face hunting this morning.

[ I am going to need a face mask for my eye bags after this mission ]

" No idea, to be honest, probably looking for his dad. Heck, I would" Ren replied.

" Well he has a week off duties, running away doesn't seem like such a bad way to spend it," Ren said after a moment and laughed.

" He probably needs to clear his head a bit, when I was a kid I used to do the same. I'd run from my folks who would leave each other black and blue and head to the local hang out for kids. It was a pile of trash but .. we called it a second home" I said as a reminisced.

" Couldn't imagine you playing in the trash, is that why you became a maid?" Ren replied cheekily.

" Stupid. Of course not! I'm a maid but I am also a mercenary. Being able to serve such a good young master ain't such a bad thing" I replied as I punched Ren.

" Woah, Woah calm down lady, I thought women were supposed to be kind and gentle at least that's what the boys back at the border said," Ren replied acting wounded.

" Kind and gentle ay? Is that your type of girl?" I laughed quietly.

" Nah, I wouldn't know what to do with her. I couldn't deal with the spoiled type either. You seen the way the princess hangs off Yuki?" Ren says and he pretends to put his finger down his throat.

" I must admit the way royalty finds love is something this commoner could never understand" I replied in thought.

The sun was slowly warming up causing a little sweat to form under my mask. I titled my head back to let my hair run down my back so the wind could cool my neck.

" I must admit though, I was really surprised when young master told us he .. had.. different tastes" I mentioned absentmindedly.

" You mean his maiden heart?" Ren replied and looked over at me I could feel his gaze on me, I looked over to meet him and nodded.

" You know, I have been thinking over it all last night and this morning and I can't say it bothers me. The only thing I am worried about is his marriage. Ahhh. Why couldn't he born common." Ren replied as he held his mask.

" Yeah, his marriage...If he was born common we would never have met him" I said after a moment.

" I guess your right" Ren replied.

Meanwhile inside the tea house...

*** Yuki's perspective***

" What do you mean you are going to the border do you have a death wish lad?" Jin said as he placed more tea in my cup.

" There is no death wish I am searching for my father," I replied coolly.

[ If I didn't know where we were I wouldn't have asked. What a headache! ]

" Your father a merc or soldier?" Jin said questioningly.

" Something like that... " I replied awkwardly.

" Something like that uh? You hear that a whole group of people went missing on the way there? Apparently, it was some big shot. We live in dangerous times. Especially when on the cusp of the peace treaty" Jin said as he took a sip of tea.