Chapter 54: Stupid Ren

*** Rens perspective ***

[ I am so tired ]

Today had had more twists and turns that I could have imagined. I was so happy to see Yuki alive and well. Especially when they had said that his heart was better I knew things were going to be okay.

I remember when Ki and I were made to kneel before Reo Aikyo, Yuki's grandfather. I had never felt so distant from the man who basically raised me. I owe him a lot. I couldn't understand at the time why he had looked sterner than usual until he told us what happened to Yuki's parents. I may not know what it is like to have parents but the older should never have to bury the younger.

He seemed more tired than usual as he gave us our orders, his hair seemed a little more tangled and his eyes just a little more worn than usual. Instead of a general, all I could see was a man who was grieving for his son and country.

The movement from the carriage had distracted me from my thoughts as I looked over at Ki who was silently watching the movement of the spirit beasts who drove us to Yuki's temporary home.

" Why was master so adamant on sending us to train this week? Did he know this would all happen?" Ki whispered under her breath.

She clenched her fists into balls, the cuffs of her black attire were threatening to split under the force of her muscles.

All I could do was shake my head. It was not our place to question our lord's orders.

We finally pulled up into the estate that Reo Aikyo owned. I stepped off the carriage in unison with Ki. We had been training secretly training together since Tama forest as ordered by Master Tenma and had become pretty in sync.

" Young Master Aikyo has come! " Shouted a guard.

Maids and butlers all with secret training bowed in unison from the front gate. I was surprised to see that Reo was nowhere to be found.

Ki had sealed her emotions on the trip back and turned her fighting aura off. No one, not even me would be able to tell she was Yuki's personal guard when she was like this.

We turned and looked at the carriage.

Yuki had yet to step out.

[ Will he come? ]

Suddenly the carriage door opened and Ki walked over and presented her hand. Yuki had taken it swiftly and with perfect elegance stepped off the carriage.

His hair was immaculately tied, his clothing was worn to an impeccable degree and the small Kithun on his shoulder was standing proudly. Anyone who had not known Yuki, as well as Ki and myself, would see a perfectly refined young master of the Tama kingdom.

[ It seems leaving a spare set of clothes was useful ]

Yuki had flashed a big grin on his face as he strode forward to meet the people at the entrance. I felt like everything that had happened had just been an illusion. The burst of magic on the way here, Yuki's mother, everything.

For some reason watching Yuki act this way made my heart clench. I would have prefered if he yelled at us more. The Yuki I saw now was but a reflection of what he was usually like. Ki too looked as if she was in pain.

" Has a room been prepared for me? " Yuki said with a small smile.

" Of course young master," said one of the maids assigned here.

" Maid, Bodyguard take care of my luggage," Yuki said promptly as he pointed at Ki and me.

[ Maid and Bodyguard huh.. ]