Chapter 58: Sora

The dirt path was reasonably straight. I was to the left, Kibbles was walking in the middle and Sora was on the right. The grasses on the side of the road gave way to open fields as far as the eye could see and the air was crisp. Unfortunately, it did nothing to improve my mood as there was a little bird that flitted next to me and chirped non stop.

" Yuta where are you from? "

" Do you like Chizo Bread? "

" How long have you been adventuring for? "

Sora's questions came non-stop like rapid machine gun fire as we made our way towards our first destination.

To get to the Vance/ Tama border we had to pass from Tult town where I just left and head down the road. We should reach Nova, or next destination, in approximately one day or so and get supplies. Once we stock up we head further north to Border Town which is a closed checkpoint and entry to Vance. Nova is just northeast of where the Akiyo family estate is and west of Tama Forest.

As I wrapped my head around the map in my hands Kibbles whispered in my ear." Sora sure does talk a lot "

" Hey, Yuta? You listening?" Sora said out loud shaking me from my thoughts.

" Sorry, I was checking the map," I said to avoid seeming rude.

" We are almost in bandit territory, so you may want to keep an eye out," Sora said with a wide grin and as he winked at me.

" Do you know this place well?" I replied looking at Sora through my hood.

" Mm as you know, us poor folks have to do what we can to make money, so I have met quite a few bandits on my travels. Most bandits know these parts as " Off Limits" that is why I wanted to travel with someone " Sora said in thought.

" I see, do you know any magic? I can fight but maybe no against a whole pack of bandits." I said honestly.

" Well, you are pretty small for an adventurer" Sora replied.

" So can you use magic?" I replied irritated.

" Yeah but I am better with a sword, my sister taught me before she headed off to the border to make a name for her self," Sora said as he sighed.

" She just wanted to be like Reo Akiyo, protect the town, save the damsel in distress and be a hero, it's stupid, right? I haven't seen her in years. I am not even sure I will be able to recognise her even if we do meet" Sora shrugged as we continued to walk.

" So why leave Tult in the first place then?" I replied as I stopped to put away the maps.

" It's too hard to find food in for someone like me. No one wants a scrawny kid for manual labour or as a warrior and I don't want to steal if I don't have to." Sora said looking dejected.

" So is that why you followed me?" I replied as a question to Sora.

" Hah yeah, I guess so. Whats the worse that can happen I die at the border? Better than starving to death I suppose." Sora replied and smiled.

[ What a carefree attitude! ]

" That is pretty morbid for a kid, " I said laughing.

" Shut up! I am taller then you, you know!" Sora said as he pointed to himself and stuck his nose up in the air.

" I am probably a lot older than you too!" he snorted after a moment.

[ Psh as if ]

" Oh yeah? Just how old is that?" I said as I egged him on *.

" I am 13! " Sora said as he looked at me smiling.

" Yep, you win" I replied pretending to act defeated.