Chapter: 2

"Good afternoon, Pops," I enter the kitchen while rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"Good afternoon, sleepyhead," Pops says as he continues to stir something in the pot.

"I was so glad and relieved to find empty casserole dish in the sink," he turns around momentarily as I hoist myself on the counter, "I was so worried that I had to waste my car gas on searching you," he laughs.

"How was last night? Did you have fun?" he asks as he places two plates on the four-person dining table in the kitchen.

"It was good, I made a new high score in Subway Surfers," I laugh as I hop down the counter and start helping him to set the table.

"Why I am not surprised that you were playing games on your mobile the whole time?" he mutters and shakes his head.

"What's for lunch?" I ask as I put glasses on the table.

"I don't know," he shrugs as he places the dish on the table and sits, "I just mixed all the leftover food with spaghetti and made something edible."

"As long as it tastes good and has not turned bad, I don't mind eating even one-week old food," I tell him as I fill my plate with delicious looking spaghetti, and take a seat opposite to him.

"This tastes really good," I swallow a forkful of spaghetti and nod my head appreciatively.

"Thanks," he drinks water, then puts the glass back on the table, "We are running out of groceries, can you do some grocery shopping?" 

"Yeah, sure," I nod, "And I might go to cabin house today and do some cleaning, so I will do the grocery before going there."

"I would have come with you and helped you in cleaning and repairing, as there will be a lot to do, but I have to go to the other town to buy some car's spare parts," he looks guilty for not coming with me.

"Pops, it is absolutely fine, as I love spending time there," I go around the table and hug him, "In that house, I feel like I am somewhat closer to mom and dad. It is like, that place is the connection between us."

"Sometimes I wish, Garret and Claire were with us," he blinks his tears away, "It is so unfortunate, that they never got a chance to know how amazing their daughter is," his voice slightly cracks in the end.

I am the unfortunate one, as I'd never got the chance to experience their love.

"I wish, too, Pops," I swallow and sigh, "I wish, too..."

"But, no worries," I kiss his cheek, "I have you... I think I can live with that," I smile, as he rubs his hand over his eyes and smiles.

"And I live for you, Avy," he smiles as he lovingly pats my head.

After putting away the last bag of grocery items in the cabinet, I make myself some sandwiches and lemonade. I am not sure how much time cleaning will take, so I am packing some snacks with me. I bought some groceries for the cabin, too, but I don't think I will have much time in my hand to cook something. 

So, sandwiches and lemonade for me.

Cabin is the first gift dad gave to mom after their wedding. It is fifteen miles away from the town, a little deeper into the woods, and it is built near the lake. It is absolutely beautiful, surrounded by a calm and serene atmosphere. 

I feel at peace there.

When I was little, whenever I and Pops went there, I used to pretend that mom and dad are alive and lives in that house. I used to cheer myself thinking that dad had gone to work and mom is cooking for me in the kitchen. When Pops cooked, I closed my eyes assumed it was my mom who was cooking. At the sound of the front door opening, I imagined my dad came back home.