Chapter: 14

I didn't think that Alec is going to be here, but no matter how much I try, his presence is hard to ignore. I don't try to approach him neither he does, and the reason is obvious. However, I did find him stealing glances in my direction.

After our last conversation, he didn't contact me and I never messaged him either. 

When my heart is not ready to talk to him then how can I force myself to talk to him? I think it is better that we should stop talking to each other altogether.

"Avy!" A guy calls and walks towards me.

"It is Avery," I politely correct him as he stops before me.

I don't appreciate if someone uses my nickname other than my family. 

"Remember me?" he points towards himself and smiles, his face looks familiar but I can't exactly recall where I have seen him, "Noah Smith."

"Oh, yeah," I nod my head in recognition, we both used to go in the same boarding school. He was my senior, "Noah," I return his enthusiastic smile with my small one.

"Never in my wildest dream, I would have thought I would find you here," he chuckles.

"Small world," I shrug.

"Yeah," he nods while running his fingers in his hair.

"Are you Jake's friend?" I ask him not wanting to come off as a rude person because of my lack of excitement.

"No," he laughs, "I am his cousin's boyfriend," he turns and waves at a timid looking girl.

"This is Avery, my friend from school. And Avery she is April, my girlfriend," he introduces as April approaches us.

I would not say that we were friends, but we were on good talking terms.

"Hi," she smiles.

"Hello," I smile back.

"You are Kristan's friend, right?" she asks as Noah excuses himself.

"Yes, because of her only I know Jake," I nod and tuck my hair behind my ear.

"Have you girls tried this?" Noah comes back with a plate filled with finger foods and points at the dip.

"No," April replies and I simply shake my head in no.

"Here try this," he offers his plate to us, "This dip tastes so good."

"This tastes different," I dip garlic breadstick in the dip and take a small bite.

"Yeah," April also nods her head in agreement, "But it does taste nice."

"There is something crunchy in it," I close my eyes focusing on the taste, "I can't pinpoint what is it, as its taste is overshadowed by other ingredients"

My eyes snap open as I realized the hidden ingredient in the dip.

"Peanuts."

********************************************************************

Without even excusing myself, I go to find Alec. I quickly take out my phone only to realize it is dead. Swallowing the profanities which are on the tip of my tongue, my eyes scan the room in search of Alec.

Maybe he went home.

But I can't take a risk, I have to make sure he is fine. At one point I thought of asking someone about him, but then I dismiss the thought. 

Making my way through the crowd I reach towards a room, the door of which is partially open. I am bit reluctant to peek inside the room because if there is someone inside trading saliva than my food will make a reappearance.