Chapter: 93

Sitting on the grass, I close my eyes and place my hand on the cold stone. Allowing the warmth radiating from this cold stone to reach my heart to provide some comfort.

Simply sitting, quietly, I let myself feel the presence of Pops around me cocooning me in a sense of security which only his existence brought in my life.

Letting Pops go was not easy for me, however, asking him to stay with me would have been selfish of me.

However, it is true Pops didn't die that day alone, he also took away his Avy with him. Now, who is living is just Liam's mother.

Why can't people we love can stay with us forever? Why a time comes when we have to learn to live without them?

Tears roll down from my eyes, involuntarily, when I open my eyes. Wiping the tears with the back of my hand, I take a deep breath then slowly exhale trying to ease off the burden from my chest.

I wanted to bring Liam to meet Pops, but he fell asleep in the car. And I didn't have the heart to wake him up from his nap, so I let him sleep and came here to meet Pops.

Kissing my fingers, I press them to his gravestone as my heart clenches painfully in my chest.

No matter how many years will pass, but saying goodbye to him will never be easy for me. Every time I feel the same ache in my heart just like the first time I felt when I said goodbye to him.

God, I hate goodbyes... there is nothing good about letting the person go who is an important part of your life.

Standing up, when I turn around I notice Alec standing a little far from me as he silently stares at me.

I want to say, I am surprised to see him here. But I am not.

"Please." His throat works as he swallows, "Come." He gestures me with his hand to follow him.

I wanted to say no because I don't want to listen to him. But I remember my promise to Pops that if I will ever meet Alec I will try to listen to him once. It is so strange, even after everything Pops never thought bad of him... even after everything he trusted him.

Just for the sake of that trust, and for fulfilling my promise which I made to Pops, I nod my head.

You better be happy, Pops. I am still listening to you even when you are not here. And better visit in my dream soon, because I can't wait to give you a tough fight as I have been practicing every day just like you used to force me.

After walking a little, his steps come to halt. Looking around, I feel perplexed but then my eyes land on something on the front. He turns to face me, with the most broken smile I have seen on his face.

"They are gone." He shrugs, "I could not save them, Avery, just before my eyes they were snatched from me."

My eyes shift to the stone behind him, as Lorene's smile flashes before my eyes which held so much love, along with Harold's face. Even though I never had a chance to interact with Harold much but I have seen the affection in his eyes for his family.

Swallowing the emotions, which starts to rise inside my chest after knowing about the loss of such beautiful people, I glance back at Alec.

His gaze locks with mine, as he quietly speaks the next words.

"They were killed."

Killed?

***************************************************************************