Chapter: 13

After eight days of blood and sweat, I have started getting better. Even I have almost managed to defeat Pops more than once. Almost because I don't want to defeat him, ever. He also knows this and tries to provoke me, so that I fight him with the fullest of my ability. But of course, no matter how much he agitates me, that will never be going to happen. I love him too much to see him lose.

My stamina has been increased and I am feeling much stronger than before. I don't resemble a panting dog after my run so... that's something.

I park my car in front of Jake's house and take a moment to prepare myself to get into a zone where I can tolerate people. Today is Jake's birthday party, even I didn't want to attend the party, but still, here I am. In these few days, he has become my good friend, so when he invited me I agreed to come. 

Just one or two hours, Avery, then you will be back into the comfort of your own company.

"Come inside, now!" Kris shouts from the other side of the line, as soon as I answer my ringing phone.

"I am coming I have just reached here," I lean back in my seat trying to prolong going inside.

"You have been sitting inside your car for fifteen minutes, I have been watching you from the window."

I sit straight and look at the window, and she waves her hand at me then flips me a bird.

I end the call and get outside the car. Jake answers the door almost laughing at me when I reach his front porch.

"I thought you slept in your car," he laughs, "You know I have a spare room in my house, you can sleep there if you want."

"Happy Birthday, Jay!" I shake my head and smile at him while giving him a quick hug.

"Thank you," he smiles and ushers me inside.

I am not surprised to see so many people in his house, because Jake knows a lot of people. He comes from a big family and has many cousins. So I am guessing they are also here, along with his friends.

 "Thank God, you are alive," Kris grins when we walk to her.

The entire week she bought poms-poms with her and did a cheer dance when I kissed the floor. 

"You should be thankful that you are alive, after doing that horrible twerking on my face while I was groaning on the floor," I arch my eyebrow at her.

"I gave you a good show, so you can't complain," she winks and throws her arm over my shoulder.

"Here is your birthday gift," I turn to Jake and hand him his gift.

"Thanks," he smiles politely.

"Open it, open it," Kris excitedly claps her hand, I smirk looking at her.

Kris, you will also love this gift.

"Yeah, go ahead," I motion Jake with my hand to open it, as he looks a bit hesitant to open it.

"What is this?" Kris frowns looking confused, Jake also wear similar expression but out of courtesy keeps quiet.

"Clapping monkey," I take the monkey, from his hand, "I wanted to gift you something which has some personal value. So I thought to give you this, as it will remind you of Kris, whenever you are not together," I shrug.

"Huh?" Kris still looks confused, but I think Jake gets my point as he is trying to stop his laughter.

"Kris, there is an online sale on dresses and shoes," I tell her with a straight face.