Chapter: 4

Feeling the desperate need to get away from everyone, I walk away from the crowd in search of someplace which less crowded. I told Kris that I need some fresh air, so she doesn't get worried.

Almost every corner of the ground floor is filled with people. Taking the flight of stairs I reach the first floor, thankfully there is no one here. However, I feel guilty of walking around in someone's house without their permission. I walk towards the half-opened sliding door and step into the balcony area.

Instantly, I feel better, as I inhale the fresh air. The loud noise coming from the party has died down a little, but still, the music and voices of people can be heard.

I run my fingers through my hair and lean against the metal railing of the balcony. As I stare at nothing particular in front of me. Tears prick in my eyes, as I think how much truth her words carry. 

I did kill my mom.

If it wasn't of me, then my mom would have been alive. I know it is not my fault, but still, I can't help but blame myself for becoming the reason of her death. 

I swallow and I try to stop the tears from falling from my eyes. 

It is very difficult to hold your tears when your eyes are brimming with them. One blink will give them the opportunity to escape from your eyes.

"I am sorry, mom," I whisper while looking at the sky, hoping that my mom can hear me.

Taking a few deep breaths to get hold of my emotions, I wipe my eyes to make sure they are free of any tears. I feel proud of myself for not letting any tears drop.

A sound of approaching footsteps make me turn my head towards their direction. 

"Hey," I say sounding astonished.

"Are you okay?" Alec stops in front of me, as he looks at me in a scrutinizing manner.

"Yeah," I nod my head, "Yeah, I am okay," I try to smile as naturally as I can.

He slowly nods his head, as he holds my gaze making me feel uneasy. I feel that maybe he can sense my lie.

"So, we met again," I say trying to shake off that uneasy feeling, "I would have said, I am surprised to see you here, but half of the town is here. So, you being here is not surprising," I smile and this time it is little less forced.

"Yeah, you are right," he slightly smiles, "You shouldn't be surprised to find me in my house," he stands beside me.

"This is your house!" I can't hide the shock from my voice or my face.

"Yeah," he nods his head, thoroughly amused by my reaction.

"I am so sorry, for wandering in your house without your permission," I quickly say, "I know this part of the house might be off-limits, as the party is on the ground floor, but I needed some fresh air. So I just came here as I was searching for some quiet place," I shrug apologetically.

"It is absolutely fine," he shakes his head and gives a small smile.

"So what is the reason for the party?" I ask as I gather all my hair to my side.

"I got my life saved by someone, so this reason is enough for me to celebrate," he says making me laugh.

"Yeah, right," I roll my eyes and laugh.

"I will just go back downstairs," I say and take a few steps towards the door, "I don't want to keep you from enjoying your party."

"You can stay," he says, "I probably don't know most of them, just a few people," he shrugs.