Chapter: 102

Alec's POV

Liam seems pretty excited about staying with me as he thinks there will be monsters in my house.

What does he think that I live in some sort of haunted house? If yes, then he will be certainly disappointed.

However, I can't feel as excited as I am supposed to because Avery's words are still echoing in my mind forcing my heart to sink a little bit with each passing moment.

The girl you are searching for is gone. I have accepted it, now it is time that you should accept it too.

No, Avery, I will not give up on that girl... neither I will allow you to give up on her. Together we will find that girl again, who is just lost under the struggles of life.

"Buddy, was mom not feeling well today?" I ask Liam, because I know if something has happened that made Avery upset then he would have definitely picked it up.

"No." He frowns but he looks a bit unsure.

"Is she sad?" He asks after a moment, "I don't like it when she is sad. It makes me sad too." He sadly pouts.

That makes two of us, kid.

I decided to drop this topic, as his young brain is able to sense the change in her but not able to comprehend it.

"Not sad, maybe she is stressed about her work." I try to come up with a reasonable excuse, "Just like when you are not able to solve any puzzle you get stressed, right? Same way, maybe mom is also worried about something."

"When I will meet her tomorrow, I am going to give her a big hug and a kiss." He smiles, "Then she will not be stressed anymore."

"Will you hug her from my side too?" I ask him hopefully. I can't comfort her, because she will not let me, when all I want is to hold her in my arms and take away all her pain and troubles.

"Okay, but my hug will be longer than yours." He narrows his eyes at me which brings a smile to my face.

Competing even with me? But I am gladly ready to lose throughout my life against this competitor of mine.

I don't remember I have ever smiled this much in all these past years, how much I have smiled in these past days.

My phone chimes when a message pops on my screen as one of my men informed me that Avery hasn't gone anywhere yet and she is still at home.

I have asked my men, who are guarding the house, not to let her out of their sight and keep me posted about everything. If she is not going to tell me, I am going to find out myself. Even though she wants me to stay away from her, but I can't stop worrying about her, and I have to make sure she is fine.

"Do you have a cat?" Suddenly Liam asks, sounding curious.

"Do you like a cat?" I ask in return which makes him scowl.

"I have asked you first." He crosses his arms angrily.

If you answer his question in question he gets annoyed, which I find pretty amusing.

"Yes, I do." I nod my head, "Why are you asking this suddenly?"

"Mommy told me you used to have a cat, but now she doesn't know if you still have it or not. I was asking her who lives with you in your house" he replies while playing with the straps of his seat. "So have you told her that I am going to stay with you? What if she doesn't want me?"

"Her name is Frisky and I think she will love you, and you both will become friends in no time."

This gets his attention as he looks at me happily.