Chapter: 46

After dinner, an impromptu movie plan was made. Since Kris's initial hesitancy has passed and now when she is less intimidated by Alec, she got into her enthusiastic friend mode. 

When she learned Alec, due to his strict routine, hardly gets any chance to really hang out. She took upon herself to make Alec experience all random shit that friends do. Since the movie theater is near from this place, she insisted we all should go and watch a movie together.

Although, I prefer watching movies at home, snuggled up in my bed or couch, but since everyone is up for movie so I even agreed for it.

The instant we leave the restaurant Alec shifts back into his stoic mode. I know he is not a people person and even inside the restaurant, he was mostly responding rather than initiating any talk. So, him returning back to his intimidating self is not something which is surprising.

"You go and buy the tickets, Avery and I will buy the popcorns," Kris informs Jake.

There are not many options, so it is decided that we are watching some action-thriller movie, even when I wanted to watch an animated movie.

Alec follows us to the concession stand, walking closing beside us. After we have bought drinks and popcorns he pays for them even before we can object. 

When we get to our previous spot, we see Jake still standing in the line waiting for his turn. Getting away from the crowd we stand next to the wall, where Jake can find us easily.

Kris narrows her eyes at some girls who try to get too close to Jake and touches his biceps. 

"I will be right back, my man needs me," Kris says, then frowns at me, "I will take this with me before you finish it even before the movie starts." She snatches popcorns from my hands and hurriedly walks to Jake's aid, who is looking damn uncomfortable with all the touching.

I shrug and put the remaining popcorns in my mouth, which I already have in my hand.

"She is..." Alec pauses, looking at Kris who has shoved the girls away from Jake, and he quickly brings Kris in between him and the girls as a shield, "strange." He lightly chuckles.

"Strange or not, she is the best." I smile lovingly at my friend, who is glaring at the girls in a silent challenge.

"You are really close to her," he asks quietly.

"Yeah, she has been always there for me," I reply in an equally quiet tone.

"Even I want to be there for you," Alec says, surprising me, "Will you ever let me in?"

This is not a simple question to answer, however, my heart says that I can trust him. 

So, instead of answering him, I hold his hand and give it a light squeeze. Silently, letting him know that I trust him, but still uncertain about sharing the part of myself which is unknown to most of the world.

"I will try." I bite my lower lip and stare at the floor, not wanting to hurt his feelings.

"For now, it is more than enough for me." His lips tilt up in a slight smile.

After a moment, I release his hand, but instantly he curls his finger around my hand securely. When I glance at him, I find him looking at our joined hands with an unreadable expression.

He lets out a silent sigh, then reluctantly leaves my hand, putting his hand in his pocket. I curl my hand in a fist, missing the warmth of his hand.

These feelings are new to me and unexplainable. Kris is also my friend, but there is something different about Alec. I feel some kind of connection with him.