Chapter: 30

Alec's POV

Frank is a great person and after talking to him for a while, he has sort of become like a friend. No wonder, Avery and he share more of a friendly relation than grandfather and daughter. He has so many stories to tell from his time when he was serving in the military, and the more I spend with him the more I have become fond of him.

We share an understanding, because of some similarities in our life. It makes conversation with him easy.

I wonder if this is how Avery's life is with her Pops, then I envy her.

I never had a chance to see any of my grandparents, but I hope if they were alive they were just like Frank.

"Want to enjoy leftover food before lunch?" he asks while taking out the last night's leftover food, "Because we will starve to death if we will wait for Avy to wake up."

"I don't mind," I shrug and smile.

We finish eating, while Frank asks me all sort of questions about the Battleground. He even asks whether he can come there sometimes, to which I happily agreed. I would love to show him around and show him all the facilities we have there. While I asked him about his garage, and we even talk about cars. 

"Avery also works at the garage?" I ask clearly surprised because honestly, she doesn't seem like working types. 

"Yes," he nods his head, "She mostly handles my accounts, but actually, that girl loves to boss around people. My staff fears her more than me. Trust me, their face visibly brightens when Avery doesn't come to work," he laughs.

Light footsteps on the wooden floor halt our conversation, as Avery comes down sleepily and lies on the couch in the living room without even looking in our direction.

I arch my eyebrow questioningly at Frank, after glancing at Avery who is resting on her side with an arm and leg dangling off the couch as she silently stares ahead.

"She is in her waking up phase," Frank quietly says, "If somebody disturbs her now, then she will be cranky all day long," he smiles fondly at her.

"It is better not to disturb the dragon," he lightly laughs.

She is weird.

Frank busy himself in preparing sandwiches and warming up some milk, while I help him because I am enjoying his company and I don't have anything else to do. After half an hour, Avery stands up and walks back in the direction from where she came. Still ignoring us.

She is so good at ignoring people, that if I were alone I would have thought maybe I became invisible.

Later, she comes down freshly showered, Frank pours hers a glass of warm milk and she hoists herself on the counter, thanking him for the milk.

"Pops, he has a gun," she points at me.

"Okay, so?" Frank turns to her raising an eyebrow, while I am confused where this conversation is going.

"Can I have one, too?" she innocently... no, too innocently asks while I frown at her.

"No," he shakes his head as if it is normal for her to demand such things.

"Why do you need a gun?" I ask narrowing my eyes at her.

"I don't know," she shrugs, "Just like that."

"Don't bother much," Frank tells me as I am about to question her more. I want to know whether somebody is troubling her that is why she is asking for a gun.

"A few weeks ago she developed a sudden liking towards katana, and before that, she wanted a dagger," he tells me as I look at her in disbelief. She looks too innocent and it is impossible to imagine her with any weapons.