Chapter: 16

"Avery."

I exhale slowly then I turn my head to look at the person who called me. 

"Kris called me to check on you," Jake seats next to me, "You can tell me if you need anything, consider me as your friend."

Kris and her family have gone to attend his elder brother's graduation ceremony. When she called me I had told her about Pops accident, she was really very worried.

"Thank you," I tiredly rake my hand in my hair and lean back in the seat, "But I really don't need anything," I give him a polite small smile.

"How is he?" Jake asks seating in the next chair.

"Thankfully nothing serious, but he suffered from a head injury," I reply then I close my eyes not wanting to talk about it anymore.

After sitting there with me, for some time, Jake leaves. But he told me that he will come back tomorrow and I should not hesitate to call him if I need anything. 

However, I don't need anything, I just want my Pops to be okay.

Later, a few of Pops friends and workers visited him. Since I am not in a mood or state to talk to anyone, so I just pretended to sleep until they left. 

I puff out a deep breath and rub my hands on my face. It is been hours since I am sitting here, each second of which is like a ton of weight crushing me. Everything things look bleak, almost like the entire world is empty. And if you see from my eyes, it is actually. 

"Is everything fine?" I close my eyes in irritation when I hear Alec's voice.

Why the hell he has to be everywhere? 

"What are you doing here? Everything okay?" his sounds genuinely concerned. He sits on a chair, one seat away from mine.

"My grandfather has been into an accident," I reply impassively, trying to hide my irritation, "Currently, he is being monitored."

"Don't worry," he quietly says, "Everything will be alright."

I haven't realized how much I needed to hear these words until he has said.

I slowly nod and turn my head to look at him. His hands clamped in his lap as he is staring at the floor.

"You look exhausted," he lightly frowns, his eyes focus on my face, "Why don't you go home and rest for a while? Send somebody else to be with him for some time," he suggests looking at me.

"I don't have anyone," I swallow to keep my breathing even, "the only family which I have is in that room," I point towards the ICU door.

"And there is no way I am going anywhere," I shake my head and stare at the ICU door.

I tear my eyes away from the door when I hear Alec's footsteps. He walks outside the waiting area, then through the glass wall I watch him mount on his bike as he leaves.

I run my fingers in my hair, with a sigh and lean my head against the cold wall. Tiredness washing over my senses, making my eyelids heavy, forcing me to involuntarily shut my eyes.

Every beat of my heart sends a prayer to whoever is listening. Prayer for the well-being of Pops, my anchor... my strength.

Maybe after an hour or so, I sense someone sitting exactly right next to me, my first instinct is to elbow them hard in their ribcage. The entire waiting room is empty, then why there is a need to intrude my personal space. Well, actually it not my personal space, it is the seat exact next to me... but still.