Chapter 54

"Avery, please listen to me." Alec's shaky voice falls onto my ears.

I have listened to everyone, but now I will listen to myself, which is telling me to end this torment.

"Move back, you will fall down."

"No, I will not fall down." I shake my head once, "I will just rise above everything." My voice not wavering at all.

Above all pain.

"Why are you doing this?" His frantic voice, makes me want to laugh, but I feel too drained even to laugh.

"Because I don't keep anyone's debt."

One small step, then you will be free of this burden. Just one small step.

"Don't you dare, Avery," he shouts, "Listen to me, just listen to me."

I am sorry for becoming the reason for your pain. But maybe you would feel satisfied to know, that all my life I was never happy. You wanted me dead, you wished I never existed, dad. As your daughter, I will fulfill your wish.

My birth brought sadness in your life, I hope my death will bring joy to you wherever you are. I hope you are watching me from somewhere and feeling happy. 

You have no idea, how much I want you to be alive at this moment. I want you to live this moment, where I  finally free you from the burden of being my father, witnessing with your eyes what you always wanted coming true. Consider this as a last gift from your daughter, whom you never loved. I wish I could say I love you, but I will not as I know it will only hurt you even more. 

A single tear rolls down my cheek, as I uncurl my fingers from the cold metal railing while I taking a step forward. 

But instead of going forward, my body jerks back into another body as Alec lifts me over the railing by tightly wounding his arms around my body.

I thrash in his arms as he pulls me away from the edge, feeling all the restrain leaving my body. 

"No, leave me!" I yell, frustratedly, while I try to fight off him, "Just leave me, Alec."

I watch my freedom getting away from me, as moisture forms in my eyes.

He puts me on my feet, turns my body to face him still keeping his iron grip on me. I continue to pull myself away from him. 

"Enough!" His hands tighten on my arms painfully.

"Let me go." I try to loosen his grasp on me.

"I said enough, Avery," he shouts, shaking my shoulders to make me look at him.

He looks down at me with so much anger that I freeze in my place, not able to do anything other than staring at his face. 

His hard glare softens slightly as anguish seeps into his eyes which are fixed on my face.

"Enough, Firefly," he whispers, his jaws clenching and unclenching, while cupping my face with his hand he swipes his thumb across my cheek.

I don't even realize when a traitorous tear streams down my face, as my vision starts to get blurred.

"It hurts, Alec," I admit for the first time, as more tears gather in my eyes. "I can't live like this."

"Every breath which I take is a burden." Swallowing, I look away from his face, "And how it could not be? I have stolen these breaths from the woman who gave me birth. I killed her." Closing my eyes I try to restrain the tears.