Chapter: 101

Alec's POV

For the last few days, almost every day I spend time with Liam. He has not started calling me dad, but I don't mind. I have to make up for six years and for now I am just happy that he has accepted me in his life.

Although, I will not lie and say that I am not waiting for the day to hear dad from his mouth.

On the other hand, things with Avery are just the way they were. She has allowed me to be a part of Liam's life, but other than that she is completely closed off.

Whenever I am with Liam, she barely spends time with us. She is not treating me badly or has shown any kind of hostility towards me. However, she only talks to me if it is something related to Liam, but other than that she keeps to herself.

During these days, the more I observed, the more I realized that she is nothing like herself.

She is Avery, yet she is not.

This scares me, what if I will never get my Firefly back? But I can't give up, I will do everything to bring the Avery back who walked into my life and filled my life with light.

She deserves to be happy and I will make her realize this. Because somewhere in all these years she has given up on her happiness.

Between being Liam's mother and Avery, she has forgotten her true self.

My Firefly is missing.

I want to talk to her, but honestly, I never really got a chance. Liam is always around and I can't talk in front of him, even discreetly. Because he is strongly in tune with Avery's emotions. The way he senses any change in her mood, it amazes me.

Even when he is playing or doing his own thing, a part of his mind is fixed on her. When he is with me, and Avery is not with us, every now and then he will go and check on her. He tries to look after her in his own ways.

It is like he has this strong need to make sure she is fine.

He is extremely possessive of her. If someone even stands close to her for his liking then holds her and he glares at that person. Like he is letting them know that she is his mother and they should step back.

Whenever I see him, my heart swells with immense pride and love.

Avery's name flashes on my phone screen just when I am about to head to Battleground.

"Hey," I answer while unlocking my car door, waiting to hear the excited voice of Liam, as normally he is the one who calls me.

The only reply which I get is silence and instantly, I know it is Avery on the line.

"Avery?" I gently question, while leaning against my car door, even though I am sure it is her.

I wait for her to speak as I listen to the silence.

"I need a favor from you," she speaks after a few moments.

"Say it, Avery." Straightening up, I reply without missing a beat.

It doesn't matter what it is, I will do anything for her.

"Can you pick up Liam tonight and keep him with you for a day?" She asks, "I need to be somewhere and I don't want him to come with me."

There something in her voice which doesn't sound right.

"Are you okay?" I ask softly, although somewhere I know the answer.

"I don't leave Liam with anyone, so hiring a babysitter is out of the question. So, can you take care of him for a day?"

"What kind of question is this, I can take care of him all my life not just, for a day," I answer while getting inside the car, "Don't worry, I will be there in twenty minutes."Quickly, turning on the engine, I pull my car out of the driveway.