Draco Malfoy*Tree House

Hogwarts is great but Hogwarts is also your home for most of the year. the home that you share with hundreds of people. With no privacy. Your dorm is shared with 4 other people who may be lovely but are still there. Sometimes you just want privacy.
being harry potter's younger sibling doesn't help. When you shared a cupboard with someone for 9 almost 10 years then had to share a room as well privacy is the greatest luxury. I mean I shared a bed in a cupboard with my brother till I was 10 and he was 11. That one year he was gone was, as much as I hate to say it, amazing since I actually got peace and quiet. Well sometimes.
Trust me, Hogwarts is defiantly an upgrade from Privet drive but sometimes you want-need a getaway. people find their own 'spot' to retreat to. Many use the library, an unoccupied tower, or a few creative people use the room of requirement. That didn't really suit me.
So, when I was halfway through my first year I went exploring. Every nook and cranny of Hogwarts had someone in it. how the twins got away with so many pranks are beyond me with no hiding spots. In a somewhat desperate attempt, I headed towards the forest. Not the forbidden one since I'm not that dumb. People seem to forget that not all of the forest is off limits.
Wondering through the trees, using my wand to carve a few subtle marks on random trees to find my way out, I dive into the forest. I could easily just stop and sit at any point, but I wanted to keep walking.
When I did stop I looked up and saw it; a tree house. Not massive in size or obvious but still there. It looks like someone tried to cover it with leaves but not well enough. But still, there was no obvious way up. Magic. I'm in Hogwarts after all. "Accio ladder?" I try, convinced it wouldn't work.
I hold back a gasp of glee as somewhat decrepitude rope ladder falls down. It doesn't look too strong and is defiantly old. My nose cringes at the bugs crawling around it. I give it a tug and it doesn't come down, but some knots give out.
"Hmm," I look around. I hold my wand up, "Repero?" the knots reamend themselves. "Well I can only fall so far," I mumble as I start climbing the ladder, slowly at first but speeding up when I don't fall.
Dusty? Check. Old? Check. Private? Check. Although not perfect nor glamour's it will do. It seems slightly bigger on the inside, though that's to be expected with magic, but just as old. A small chest sits in the corner, a few old sweetie papers littered around, and a table with 4 mixed match chairs sit in the middle, a pack of cards in the middle.
Walking over to the chest, I try and open it to no avail. It only had a simple lock. Well magic had worked so far, "Alohomora," it buzzed, and the lock went bright red before returning to normal and not opening. Not knowing the consequences of messing with a magic-proof lock, I leave it alone.
Carefully I sit on the sturdiest looking chair and take a breath of relief when it doesn't crumble. The cards are covered in dust and were defiantly well used. All the cards were there apart from the two jokers which were pinned on the back of the door.
The black joker said 'the' and the red joker said 'marauders'. I look at them quizzically but leave them intact. Probably just some group of lame kids trying to sound cool.
I have to thank they lame kids though because this would become my spot.
Never did I tell anyone, not Luna my best friend, not harry my brother, not even Hagrid who'd basically became a father figure when I found my love of magical creatures.
If I wanted privacy I went there, when I wanted quiet I went there, when I wanted to cry I went there, and when I wanted to be myself I went there. And no one ever found it.
I mention crying because of everything that happened. I'm an orphan who's in my own brother's shadow. And people who don't like him defiantly don't like me. I'm quiet, I'm friends with the 'weirdo' (Luna), and I'm 'bookworm'. Basically, I'm an easy target. I like to say I'm not a sensitive person but that'd be a lie.
Harry tries to comfort me, but he just doesn't get it. he's popular in a weird way. I'm just weird. Plus, he'd already burned some bridges for me.
Slytherins aren't that bad in general but theirs a certain group who harry pissed off before I even got here. Malfoy, Crabbe, Goyal, Parkinson, and Zabinni. I say their last names because that's all they ever seem to use.
It started off small, "The not famous potter," "Weirdo," "Freak", but got progressively worse. "Your parents would be glad their dead if they knew you," "Don't want to catch whatever made you look like that" "No wonder only Looney talks to you," Ouch. Not to mention the fights and jinxes. But it was pansy and her gaggle that went after me.
Harry was lucky. He'd defeated a troll, a basilisk, and a dementor. Who in their right mind goes after a 14-year-old who has been up against Voldemort and lived three times? I'm the kid who almost fainted in quidditch.
It's my third year and his fourth. Ever since the end of last year, I could tell Harry was keeping something from me but never said anything. Something happened in the shrieking shack. I just know it. when I asked he ignored me. Talk about moody.
Third year has gone as well as any other; shit. Not to mention the fact Harry managed to enter the goblet of fire. Idiot. He always tells me not to take risks. Hypocrite. Plus, someone keeps owling him, but he won't tell me.
I feel like I'm reaching a boiling point after confronting harry, again. Deciding I just have to let it out I head to my treehouse. As I'm walking I hear snickering. Why? Why? Why?!
"Where you off to Potter," someone sneers. I ignore them, better to be classy than assy. "Hey, I'm talking to you!" Pansy whines, stomping her foot.
Not wanting to be hit in the back with a jinx I turn around, "What-"
Before I can continue she cuts me off. "Um who said you could look me in the eyes? I don't want to catch whatever you have," She sneers. Her friends snicker.
"I don't have anything," I said in a low volume.
"Really? Then your parents must have been trolls," Bulstrode chimes in.
"Shut it!" I say without thinking. Their gobs fall open, "Can't you all just shut up?!"
"Looks like someone found their voice," A fifth-year sneers, "How about I take it? Silencio!"
I try and fumble for my wand, but it was already done. I tried to talk and didn't make a peep. When I got my wand, I tried to cast a spell, but they hadn't started nonverbal magic yet. I'm just pointing my wand, mouthing words, as they laugh.
"Watch this," Bulstrode said, getting her own wand. The girls take it in turns as I try running away. I'm in the air, I'm turned different colours, and messed around. There's no winning.
"What are you doing?!" Someone yells, running down the corridor. Suddenly a Dumstrang boy is in front of me and the girls are quiet. He looks past the girls and I notice the boys. Crabbe, Goyal, Zabinni, and Malfoy, along with a couple other Dumstrang kids, "If I'd known Slytherins were like this we'd have found another dorm to share."
Eventually, it's the Slytherins opposite me with Dumstrang in-between. "Why would you do this?" he asks the girls. No response.
Draco's the first to speak. "Are you okay?"
I look up at him, knowing I still have purple skin, and then just turn and run, holding back sobs along with any dignity I once had. I hear footsteps behind me and yelling. Someone catches up with me, but I don't stop. "Hey!" I turn and see Draco and run faster.
Once I think I've lost him I run for the tree house. The ladders not down and I take my wand out and just keep pointing as if I was saying it. eventually I hear moving then it falls down. I can't even celebrate the first time I use nonverbal magic. I just climb up, sit down and cry.
I don't notice anything till I hear someone climbing the ladder. I scurry back into the corner and pull out my wand, aiming it at the door. Draco's head pops out, "It's only me," he says as he waits, there not yet coming in. I don't lower my wand, "Can I come in? please" I nod but keep a firm grip on my wand.
He moves slowly but eventually, he's sitting across from me. "Are you okay?" I want to scream at him but it's pointless till the charm wears out. "What did they do?" Silence. "Will you ever talk to me?" he sighs.
I point to my throat. He scrunches his brows. "Can you talk?" he asks. I shake my head no. "Can I try to take it off?" he gets his wand out and I nod, slowly. He mutters something, wand pointed at me.
I feel a small spark "Hey!" I whine before realising "I can talk!" I could almost smile. " then the situation dawned on me again. Looking down, I asked, "What are you doing here?"
This time it seemed like it was Draco who was too ashamed to look at me, "You okay?" he asked. I shrugged, "What they did isn't right,"
"I know,"
Draco cleared his throat awkwardly and looked around the room. "So, this is where you go to. What is it?"
"A tree house," please leave was what I wanted to say.
"Cool," he said before it was silence again.
"You don't have to stay," I said.
Draco looked down for a second, "I um also wanted to apologize," I motioned for him to go on, "I-I'm not the best of p[people but you probably know that. But yeah sorry,"
"Surely it's the other potter you should say that too?" I say.
Draco takes a sharp inhale, "Your brother is – something else. He's Harry Potter, biggest celebrity. No offence but everyone is a bit sick of it. it's just so annoying when he does nothing and gets everything!" he rants before calming down, "Sorry it's just-"
"You think you get annoyed at that?" I cut him off, "Try living up to that family link. Plus, apparently my mother was a genius and my dad was great at quidditch. I can barely pass charms for crying out loud." He nodded along to my rant, making me go on. I hadn't even spoken to Luna about this since I knew she was friends with my brother too, "The school sees me as a let down compared to him. And why? Because he survived Voldemort when he was like 1? He was a baby! He didn't do anything!"
"Exactly!" Draco said as if someone had never said it before, "And yet its potter this and potter that! Surely if anything it was your mum or something that put some spell or potion on him,"
"Which would make way more sense than Harry having better magic than Dumbledore before he could even walk!"
Both of us seemed relieved to get it out, "And if I ever say anything I'm just jealous," Draco said.
"Yeah and I'm just insecure. Like no, Harry did literally nothing. It was luck,"
"Thank you! Finally, someone says it!" Draco explodes. "Maybe you are the smarter Potter,"
"Damn right I am. I read more of his textbooks before he came here than he did. Who doesn't want to learn magic?" I said. After it was all said I could sit relaxed, leaning against the wall, "Glad someone finally gets it,"
Draco nodded, "Same here. And by the way, you're not average," This time I didn't reply, "I mean you made this place,"
"Found," I corrected him, "I found it."
He looked around. "Its...nice. Cosy,"
I roll my eyes, "Is that why you're here? To give me design tips?" I ask.
The Slytherin couldn't meet my eyes, "I was worried. Pansy took it way to far. And your skin, its..." he trailed off and I looked at my arm. Purple. My skin was purple. "Do you want me to fix it?" he asked grabbing his wand. I flinched out of instinct, "You're scared of me," he whispered.
I played with my fingers, "Well I mean we've not had great experiences." I mumbled.
He nodded but still seemed hurt, "Let me change that. No strings, no jokes, no pranks. I-I want to make it up to you and show you not all Slytherins are the same,"
Thinking about it, I had my doubts. How could I trust him, the son of a death eater, "How?"
"How about we start by you letting me take that spell off you?" he asked. I nodded. Draco muttered something as he pointed his wand and I felt like something cool spilled over my body. I looked back down, and my skin was back to normal. "Better?"
"Suppose so," I mumbled, "What now?" I asked.
"We talk?"
And we did. Every day, in the treehouse. At first, it was awkward, and we said hardly anything. After a few days when he kept to his word and showed up to the tree house, no strings, no jokes, and no pranks, as promised, we started to talk more openly. Eventually, we were even able to make jokes and laugh.
Draco promised to never tell anyone about the tree house or talk to me in school. I didn't want any attention from Pansy and her group and she's always staring at Draco. So far he's lived up to his promises.
When speaking to Harry I was told Draco had backed off. His friends hadn't and Harry was convinced it was Draco telling them what to do. When I asked Draco, he said he wasn't, and he wasn't going to tell anyone what they can and can't do. When I mentioned this to harry he laughed and said he was a Malfoy. That's what they did. Sometimes I could slap my brother.
Draco, however, did tell Pansy and her girls to back down or so I assume because they hardly bothered me or Luna anymore. Another change that I didn't expect was from Dumstrang or at least a group of their students.
The guys who'd stepped in checked in with me to see if I was okay and said I should go to Dumbledore. I convinced them not to so instead they pranked the girls by using some Bulgarian hexes that turned the girls voices deeper than most guys and gave them better beards too. It took the teachers longer to reverse it since it was a foreign spell.
It surprised me more than Luna and I actually befriended a couple of the boys because of the whole situation. It wasn't a particularly close bind, but we still said we'd owl and stay in touch. Harry didn't like this. After all, he was my older brother and since he was convinced I was 'boy obsessed' since I kept hanging out with them. When I mentioned this to Draco he kind of brushed it off, but I figured it was nothing.
The Yule ball came, and I couldn't care less. I was Afterall too young to go and no one was about to ask me. Since Hermione wanted another opinion and didn't want to go to harry or Ron she asked me to help with her outfit and such. She even told me about her date with Krum.
In the past year or so I'd spent more time with my brother, afraid he'd die in his tournaments, and his friends. By doing so I became closer with Ron's extensive family including the twins. Luna had mentioned to Hermione the yule ball seemed like fun so Hermione convinced the twins to take Luna and me to the dance so we could get in then ditch us.
It was kinda awkward but pretty much as soon as we were in the twins went to their actual dates. The teachers didn't particularly care because we weren't loud or obnoxious. Someone who did care was Draco.
While basically everyone was out there dancing and I had stayed back to get a drink he came up to the drinks table, "So you don't just own jeans?" he joked. I rolled my eyes but smiled. It's not like anyone was looking, "You look nice,"
"Thank you. You look...okay, too I suppose,"
This time he rolled his eyes. "So, how'd you get in? Potter charm?" he asked.
"Nope, that's just Harry. The twins took Luna and me," he tensed up. "What?"
"Nothing. Just don't like them much is all," he grumbled. I raised my eyebrows. "Really. I mean it's cool whatever,"
"It's not liked a real date," I felt the need to explain, "They're just not letting third years in without dates," He shrugged but the conversation fell flat, "So, having fun?"
"So much," he said in the most sarcastic tone he could muster, "Crabbe bullied me into taking Greengrass so he could take her sister and Pansy's been following me around all night. Having the time of my life,"
"Careful. Someone might start to believe you're having fun," I said. He rolled his eyes with a smile. I smiled as well, "I mean it can't be too bad if you could sneak over here,"
"Yeah well, I needed to talk to you-"
"Hey (Y/N)!" Fred said, flinging his arm over my shoulder and making me jump, "Malfoy," he deadpanned, "Mind if I steal my date?" Fred said before steering me off into the dance floor.
Once we were on the dancefloor he let go, "Sorry I hadn't realised Malfoy had started at you." He said. "What was he saying?"
"He was just getting a drink," I shrugged.
Fred gave me a look, "Its Malfoy. You don't need to lie to me. You and Harry are basically Weasleys at this point. Family helps family,"
As nice as it was that I was seen as 'family' I also felt bad. Draco hadn't done anything wrong (lately) and especially not to me. I didn't have much time to dwell because Fred convinced Luna (who we'd found dancing by herself, not a care in the world) and I to dance with him and his friends. George, Harry, and Ron joined us, but Hermione and their dates were nowhere to be found.
A few times through the night I saw Draco looking over or Pansy glare at me. whenever I saw Draco though he didn't look so happy. He didn't even perk up when a group of Belcourt girls started obviously flirting with him.
Mid-dance however I noticed he was gone. He wasn't with his friends, on the dancefloor, or seemingly anywhere. Luna and I had switched to hanging with Neville and Ginny, but I told them I was going to the dorms.
"Night," they all told me, going back to their conversation, and I left.
As I was walking through the corridor I heard some arguing. When I walked around the corner I saw Pansy and Draco fighting, "I know you're hiding something!" she whined.
Draco looked past her and saw me, "(Y/N)?"
Pansy turned and saw me. he hands flew to her hips and she stormed up to me, "What do you want?"
"I was going to my dorm," I lied.
"Really? I don't believe you. I think your just a big fat snake who was eavesdropping! This is why everyone likes Harry and you are just some slu-"
I snapped. I'm not proud, well that's a lie. But I did it. I punched Pansy as hard as possible in the eye. She screeched and clutched her eye, "Draco," she cried, "it hit me,"
"It?" I asked while wincing, not realising how hard someone's skull would be on a fist.
"Back off you little creep!" she cried, trying to lean on Draco who kept moving back. "Wait till I get a professor!" Finally, she stood up properly, "Coming Draco," she said before walking off. When she noticed he didn't move she stopped, "Well?"
"I better make sure it doesn't go anywhere," he said. My mouth almost fell open. What?
She smirked, "Too right. I'll be back soon. Don't even think of moving," Pansy hissed before slithering off.
Once the sound of her heels was distant Draco came up to me and grabbed my wrist, "C' mon," he said trying to make me walk.
I didn't, "It?" I asked, "Really? It?"
He looked down, "Sorry can we talk about this before a teacher comes and believes her,"
Begrudgingly I nodded and let him lead me into a small cupboard in a nearby corridor. "We can wait here till they come by. Once they're gone we can just go," he said, and I nodded.
"What are we going to say about Pansy? They're gonna ask eventually" I said. The cupboard was dark so I could barely see Draco's outline let alone face.
Draco paused, "We'll just say we were in our dorms. Two against one," he said. "We should probably stay quiet," he whispered.
"I did hit her," I mumbled.
"She deserved it. didn't think you had it in you," he whispered. "Did you have fun with Weasley?" he asked with annoyance in his tone.
I rolled my eyes, "What's gotten into you? It's not like we're dating or anything," I whispered back, crossing my arms.
"We don't even talk in school so trust me I know that,"
"That's what's bothering you? You were the one who said it might be a good idea," I whispered back sharply. I was sick of the broody moody teenager attitude.
He sighed, "Yeah but its different now. I feel bad that I can't tell they Dumstrang guys to leave you alone,"
"I don't mind," I whispered, "I'm friends with them after all,"
"Really?" he asked seemingly shocked.
I glare, "Yes. Why can't I have friends all of a sudden?"
Draco rolls his eyes, "Its not that. Its,-its oh it's what I was trying to tell you earlier," he managed to force out. I nodded for him to continue, "I-I like you," he whispered, voice dropping and his skin going pink, "Okay? I like you and I dunno I'm-I'm jealous I guess,"
"You like me?" I ask. "Like you like me like me or..?"
"Yes," he sighed "I wanted to take you to the Yule ball, but you seemed so excited to go with Luna. Sorry."
"Why are you sorry?" I asked.
"because you don't like me, and I know this is probably so uncomfortable for you and-" I cut him off but leaning forward and kissing him. He froze for a moment before leaning forward and kissing me, taking the lead, not that I minded. He stepped closer, turning us so I was against the door.
It was pure bliss until we heard footsteps. Draco pulled back but was hovering not too far away and we listened. "They were right here," Pansy's voice filled the air, making me cringe.
"I don't see anyone Miss Parkinson," McGonagall sighed. Crap. If it's her who catches us I might as well transfer, "Let's just get you to the hospital wing,"
"No! they were right here!"
"Miss Parkinson!" McGonagall sounded so done with life, "You will follow me to the hospital wing right now. you've caused enough disruption tonight. I'll have another professor look for them both,"
Draco and I held back laughter as Pansy was 'escorted' to the hospital wing. Once they were out of earshot we sprung out the cupboard. "C' mon," I told the Slytherin, leading him to the tree house. "They won't find us out there," I said.
Once we sat down in the tree house we both let out a sigh of relief, "Oh thank Merlin," I breathed out. Draco smiled. "What?" I asked.
"You kissed me," he said, still grinning. I nodded before looking down, cheeks pink, "So what does that mean?" he asked.
I paused, "That you're my boyfriend?" I asked and he somehow smiled more. "My boyfriend here...and in school,"
His eyebrows rose, "Really? Even with your brother and everything?"
I nodded, "I can handle him. Besides then you can 'protect' me from the 'other boys'" I made fun of him. He rolled his eyes, "But if we are together I'm not going to hide it."
"Good. Because I don't want to hide either,"The next day was somewhat uneventful till McGonagall brought us in her office, Pansy sitting in a chair glaring at us. "Take a seat," McGonagall said to us. We did, me sitting as far away from Pansy as possible. McGonagall clearly didn't want to be here, so she asked, "Potter did you hit Ms. Parkinson?"
"No professor," I replied, not looking at Pansy.
"Mr. Malfoy did you see anyone hit Ms. Parkinson?" she asked.
Pansy smirked but it quickly fell, "No professor,"
"That's a lie!" Pansy shrieked. "He was there. They both were. Potter hit me."
"Where were you two last night?" Professor McGonagall asked, "You both left early,"
I glanced at Draco. Draco cleared his throat, "We were...hanging out. The ball got boring. But we both ended up going to our dorms."
McGonagall's eyebrows rose. Pansy's jaw fell open when she clearly noticed something on Draco's neck. I realised that when he readjusted his collar. "Well, Ms. Parkinson I find it very unlikely (Y/N) did hit you. According to Potter's and Malfoy's friend they were both tired and their roommates all say they were in bed when they got back."
Pansy went to protest but McGonagall stood up and opened the door, "You two can go. Ms. Parkinson I would like to have a conversation with you about lying," Draco and I were quick to get out the door. McGonagall stopped us and whispered "You two better behave on school property. And get a spell to cover that up," she nodded at Draco. We both went bright red and scurried off, mumbling a 'yes professor'.
We headed to the great hall, Draco going to sit at Slytherin and I going to sit with my brother, his friends, and Luna at Gryffindor's table.
The conversation was pretty normal till my roommate came over, "Why did I have to lie to McGonagall for you?" Charlie asked.
I glanced at my brother, "Um I'll tell you later," I said. Charlie rolled their eyes, "Thanks by the way," Charlie nodded but went to sit with their own friends. I turned back to my friends. "What?" I asked when everyone was looking at me.
"Where did you go last night?" Harry asked.
I blushed, "Um nowhere special," I mumbled, glancing over at Draco. He smiled when he saw me. I smiled back.
Harry looked in-between us. He looked confused then shocked then in denial then shocked again, "Oh hell no!"