Surprise Party

Summer was a great time. A break from school, drama, and first years. Not to mention I can just hide in my room and not have to look presentable. Sitting in my room with the same pj's on for a week, a food stash in my dresser, and too many empty cups of tea for a normal person, I began to write my friends back. The only draw back of magical friends was the lack of phones and texting.

At first, I wrote back in quill and ink but then I realised I could just use normal ball point pens and paper instead of paper. George wrote me back the first-time id used it asking what quill I had used, and I couldn't help but laugh.

It's not that I didn't want to meet up with my friends rather the fact I basically live with all my friends year-round, normally including the winter break, and sometimes you just want to be antisocial. Plus, people had holidays planned so not everyone was in the country or if you're like Harry your basically locked in the house.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I were in the same year but weren't friends at first. I was friends with Hermione first because it was the first day and I found another muggleborn who was both terrified and yet seemed to understand what was going on. After a bit of a tiff with Ron and Harry then a troll then some yelling and detention we became friends. Its kinda a long story. It would take me a full book series to explain.

Although they three were in my year I was closer with Ron's brothers Fred and George. Fred because he's funny and George because he stops Fred killing himself and everybody around him when they prank people. This friendship came from me saving their butts from McGonagall when I was in first year and they almost got caught when they tried to pull a prank in the teachers' lounge.

The prank didn't work, for obvious reasons, but the twins seemed determined and well I was bored. This led to me being used as a decoy for the first in a long line of pranks. Most of the times they'd set up the pranks, go somewhere highly visible, I'd set off the pranks then scamper off. Never been caught since.

Despite them sending me blueprints of plans and letters through the summer I insist phones are better. Hermione, despite feeling classy using her ink and quill, agrees so I've talked to her the most via text. She's also the only person I've mentioned my birthday too.

Having a birthday during the summer holidays was good and bad. Good that I wasn't in school, bad I had never had a party since everyone was on holiday or we didn't plan one in time for the schools breaking up. Part of me wants a party but another part of me likes being a hermit.

With my birthday approaching, not that I really was paying attention, Hermione was insistent I do something besides gorge on cake. Can you believe her? this led to me agreeing to hang out with her on my birthday so she could give me her present despite me insisted she needn't have bothered.

My birthday finally had rolled around and I forced myself to get dressed. Eventually I looked semi decent and I emerged from my cave. As I walked into the living room my mum gasped, "You're wearing clothes?" she asked.

"Ha ha," I deadpanned.

"Well Happy Birthday Sweetie,"

A quick breakfast later I was getting ready to use the floo network. My dad had one installed in our fireplace because he never told us, but he was a squib and always wanted one. "Be home by dinner," Dad told me as I stepped into the fireplace, floo powder in hand.

"I don't think we'll be out that long," I told him as I pulled up the address Hermione had texted me, "The burrow?" I said as I dropped the floo powder.

Something must've worked because I saw the green flames as I was sucked out of the fireplace. I coughed and wheezed as my feet finally touched solid ground. "Surprise!" I looked up through the soot and saw my friends?