Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Grace’s POV

“Hey Grace. How’s it going sweetie?”

I smiled and hugged the old woman.

“I’m fine Mrs. Bell, how about you?”

She waved her hand as I gave her the special for the day.

“Oh you know. I’m hanging in there. Trying to keep this one straight.” She laughed, pointing to Mr. Bell.

Mostly everyone that came into the restaurant was a regular or a tourist passing through. I knew almost everyone in our town from working at the restaurant. Just being a waitress had helped me come out of my shell. I was still pretty shy around anyone I hadn’t known since I was a kid. When the bell rang overhead, I instinctively looked over at the door to see my friends walking in. Sammy and Liam came inside, following me back to the kitchen.

“Hey guys.”

Sammy engulfed me in a hug as Liam searched for something to devour in the kitchen.

“Hi Liam, I see you’re ignoring me for food again.”

“Never.” He chuckled, sticking his tongue out.

“So mature.”

Sammy pulled out her lip gloss, putting some on. Liam laughed at her.

“Sam seriously, Nobody cares that you have that stuff on.”

“Nobody asked you Liam.”

His brown orbs looked over to me and he put on that puppy dog pout he was so good at.

“Aw Sam, you hurt poor Li’s feelings.” I said, wrapping an arm around Liam’s shoulders and trying not to laugh.

“Whatever.”

“So mean.” Liam muttered, leaning his head into me.

“Hey Grace, you know a new family is moving into my neighborhood.” Liam said, glancing at me.

“No I didn’t know.”

“Yeah well my dad said that they are buying the house you used to live in.”

“Really?” I asked, surprised.

I used to live in Liam’s neighborhood but my family moved across town and into Sammy’s neighborhood as soon as my mom bought the restaurant.

“Yeah that’s the rumor.”

Sammy and Liam stayed at the restaurant reading their summer reading books at the last minute. They seemed to have “forgotten” about it all summer long whereas I had finished mine by the second week of summer. They both rolled their eyes as I called them out on their procrastination in between serving people and taking orders.