Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Grace’s POV

“I can’t believe you are actually valedictorian and Liam is salutatorian. Why are you guys so smart?”

“Sammy hush. You are number five.”

I laid on Sammy’s bed watching her as she packed clothes in her suitcase. She was emotional because she had to leave Calum. She had already said goodbye to him but she was still really distraught. Calum wanted to stay here and go to University here and Sam was having a hard time with that. Sammy’s aunt lived in New Jersey and she was going to stay with her for the summer before she could move into the dorms at Columbia. I was excited that we would all be together but I felt bad for Sammy. I couldn’t imagine leaving Harry behind. I always thought I would have to until he decided he wanted to come with me. I just wished Sam was getting her prince charming too.

“Sam, I know this isn’t what you want to hear but there are tons of people out there. Maybe you’ll find the guy in New York. Maybe it’s meant to be this way.”

She smiled but wiped a tear from her cheek.

“He is the one Grace. I don’t know how I know it but I do. It’s him. I don’t think I’m ever going to feel this way about anybody.”

“I know but if it’s meant to be, he’ll wait and so will you. Eventually a time will come where the two of you can be in the same place again.”

“He’s not going to wait for me for four freaking years Grace.”

“But what if he does?”

Just as she was about to argue with me, Sammy’s door burst open. For some reason, I jumped but it was only Calum. He had been crying and I had to look away for a second. I felt that way with Harry too. I couldn’t stand to see Harry crying. It ripped me to pieces.

“Sammy I love you. Please just stay with me for the summer. I am in love with you and I don’t want to let you go. I’m not ready Sam.”

“Calum, please don’t do this. Don’t try to make me stay.”

“But I don’t want anything but you and it’s not jealousy. After Liam kissed you, I was pissed. I didn’t even want you around him but now I just don’t want to lose you. I’m not ready for this and I can’t handle it.”

“So what? We spend an incredible summer together and then you’ll be ready? It’s better if I just leave now.”

I wanted to but in. I wanted to tell my headstrong best friend to shut her mouth and just be with who she wants to be with but I knew this was something I had to let her do on her own. She had to make her own decisions regardless of whether I wanted to but in or not.

“Nothing is better about you leaving me! It sucks. I used to be this guy that didn’t have a care in the world. I just went to parties and got wasted and I just didn’t have much to lose but now I have everything to lose Sammy. Dammit, why can’t you see that?”