Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Grace's POV

I was worried about Harry when he didn't come to school the next day. When I text him, he ignored it. I didn't understand what I'd done but something didn't feel right.

"You alright Grace?" Liam asked, nudging my shoulder with his.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you sure Grace? You don't look like yourself. Is something going on?"

"I'm sure. I'm completely fine Li."

I forced a smile and squeezed his hand. I didn't want him to think I was having second thoughts about our date. I was having second thoughts but I didn't want to ruin things before I've even given us a chance.

I wasn't paying much attention to our English teacher and I just knew I was missing a bunch of material for the upcoming quiz. This was very unusual for me but I really just wanted to talk to Harry. What if something happened? Or what if he was avoiding me? Harry hadn't given me many details but I knew that he had been through a lot in his life. I felt really bad for him. I hated what he had told me about his abusive father.

The secret of Harry's past was safe with me. There was no way I would tell anyone, even Sammy or Liam. I pulled out my phone, hoping that he would text back this time.

Me: Harry, I'm really worried. Can we talk?

Harry: I'm fine.

Me: You sure?

Harry: Yes Grace. I have to go. Listen, you hanging around me is not a good idea so I'll see you around but I don't think we should hang out.

Me: Why?

Harry: It's just not a good idea. I'll see you around, I guess.

I sighed, turning my phone off and shoving it in my back pocket. I hated that Harry wasn't talking to me. I wanted to be there for him, even as just a friend but he obviously didn't want or need my help. Maybe I just wasn't what he was looking for. At least I had my date with Liam tomorrow night. Part of me was looking forward to it. I needed to at least face these feelings I had for Liam to find out if they were something real or not. If they were real, why couldn't I get my mind off Harry?

Harry's POV

After sleeping in, I went around town putting in my application everywhere. I needed money more than anything right now. I knew that mum and I would be fine. We would just be tight on money for a while. I could live with that as long as my mum and Gem were both safe. I would do anything for them.

I hated telling Grace that we shouldn't see each other. I knew I was letting something great...no amazing slip out of my grasp but I shouldn't be in a relationship right now. I won't even have time. I won't be able to give her nice things. It wouldn't last. I'm not dumb enough to believe that it would.

As I walked into a restaurant close to my house, I looked around at the customers, loving the environment. It seemed so peaceful and everyone seemed to be happy and pleased.

"Hi, how many?" the hostess asked.

She looked to be about twenty-three or twenty-four maybe.

"Actually, none. I was just wondering if I could talk to someone about getting an application."

"Oh yes. The owner, Lisa just came in. Right this way." She informed me.

I followed her to the back of the restaurant, through the kitchen and into an office where a woman sat down behind a small desk. She looked up at us, smiling brightly.

"Hi Lisa, this young man just came in to fill out an application."

"Oh of course!"

When the hostess girl was gone, the owner stifled a laugh.

"I'm Lisa. Please don't call me Mrs. and don't let them know that I didn't make you fill out an application."

"Excuse me?"

"I just want to hear about you. I'm pretty good at reading people without a dumb piece of paper to do it for me."

I smiled, already liking this woman.

"Well my name is Harry Styles. I am from England and just moved here with my mom. I used to work at a bakery so I have experience. I think I would be good for your business."

"Well Harry, I like you already. You know; my first job was at a bakery when I was sixteen."

"Wow. That's really cool. Oh and I am a senior in high school so..."

"Oh that's perfectly alright. My daughter is in high school. You could work after school and on weekends. That's what she does. We can work with your schedule."

"This is great! Are you sure you don't want me to fill out an..."

"You're hired if you want the job Mr. Styles. Starting pay is ten dollars but you will receive a fifty cent raise after six months. You will be doing lots of things and you'll get tips when you serve. I think my employees work harder than minimum wage and what waitresses typically make is disgusting."

"Wow. This is amazing."

"Can you start tomorrow after school or is that too soon for you?"

"No of course not! I'll be here."

Wow. Things seemed to really be looking up. I had never even heard of waiters making that much and I only made eight at the bakery. I smiled to myself, shaking hands with my new employer.

"I will be out of town tomorrow but I will tell my daughter to show you around and show you how we do things around here. She's great. She's the best waitress around here. People come in asking for her to wait on them."

"Well I can't wait to meet her. Thank you for this opportunity."

"You're welcome Harry. I know you will do great."

A/N

I hope you are enjoying this story. It's a little slow right now but trust me, it will pick up soon. I have a plan for this story. Please comment your thoughts, predictions, and suggestions. Can anyone guess who Lisa's daughter is? Hehe. Comment!

-Faith