LXIV

Valentina was once again crying all night, not letting me sleep. I walked down to the kitchen not wanting to wake the rest up. I tried feeding her, rocking her back and forward, massaging her tummy to release the little gasses but nothing worked. I was tired and just all around exhausted with her crying. I hear footsteps coming from the stairs.

"Babe, she won't stop crying."
I say thinking it was Nick.
"Oh sorry Lorenzo, I thought it was Nick."
I say once I see him. He chuckles.

"No worries. Let me hold her a little."
He says. I hand her over gently, he starts rocking her back and forward slowly and then he starts singing to her. Surprisingly she stopped crying. He looks at me and smiles.
"She clearly likes music. Just like her father."
His voice sounded sad. I look at him as he keeps singing and I just knew he wasn't as bad as Nick though.

"I'm really sorry to ask, I know this is private, but why did you leave your family."
I ask. He looks up at me with a reassuring smile.

"Well Chantel, it's a long story. You see I used to work two 9-5 jobs to support my family, which led to me having less time with my family and that also resulted into many conflicts. I wasn't happy, Debbie wasn't happy we were already contemplating a divorce, then she got pregnant with Nick, I couldn't leave her with 3 children. Time went by and the checks were not rolling in, we were getting poorer and poorer. Once again there was fighting all the time, we had many conflicts. Now, during the time our divorce started becoming a upcoming topic once again, I found a better job out of state that payed me a lot better. I wanted to share custody but she though it was unhealthy for the boys to move back and forth, I agreed but I already took the job. She was refusing to move with me so she decided to stay and I had to leave. But you see, I never stopped caring, I always payed child support, I even payed extra because I knew she wasn't having it easy."
Damn I think to myself, this is a whole mess.
"I'm not trying to justify anything, alright? That's not what I'm here for because I know that since the day I left I've been a lousy father, I could've kept contact, I could've been there for them. Chantel, I know what it feels like not to have a father and unfortunately I didn't take my sons feeling in consideration but I'm happy Nick is breaking that cycle and actually being a great father figure. Since the day I lost my son, I realized how fast things change and that I need to try and mend the broken things in my life. I love my sons no matter what they think of me and I just want them back in my life."

"But how come you went on a date instead of coming to meet your son when he was in a coma?"

"A date? I was in jail."

"What?"

"Once Debbie called me and told me there were medical bills to pay I was stealing cash from my job to help her pay it off and buy me a ticket to come visit, it didn't take long before they caught me and I ended up arrested."
I furrowed my eyes. Why was all of this kept a secret?

"You really have to talk to Nick."

"I know that's why I came here."
He gives Valentina back who magically fell asleep in his arms.

"Thank you."
I say. He nods and smiles before walking back upstairs. I also walk upstairs and put Valentina in her crib before giving her a little kiss. Once I walk into the bedroom I see Nick on his phone.

"Hi babe."
I say.

"Hi."
He answers coldly.

"Are you mad?"

"Chantel, you let my father stay the night, I'm not really the happiest."

"I know, I know, but I just talked to him and trust me when I tell you that everything is not what it seems. You have to speak to him."
He looks at me with furrowed eyebrows before turning the table lamp on.

"Are you out of your mind. Him and I have nothing to discuss, if I wasn't his business when I was little, I'm not his business now!"
He says. I sigh as I put my hand in his cheek.

"Please bub listen to me. You have to talk to him about everything, at least get a closure. You need it, he needs it, what do you have to loose."

"I don't want to get wrapped into his life then get disappointed again."

"Nick, for me, please."
He looks at me and takes a deep breath.

"Fine, I'll talk to him tomorrow."

"Thank you baby."
He nods.
"I love you."

"I love you too."
He says before giving me a kiss and going back to sleep.