eight

secrets don't make friends

          Foxfire had decided to not tell Kat of her run in with Draco Malfoy in the room of requirement. She wasn't lying, she was just simply withholding the truth. And there was nothing wrong with keeping a little secret to herself, for now at least. She just couldn't figure out why she had all of a sudden become attracted to Draco. I mean, it's not like they've ever really spoken much, and he was a total jerk to her friends. But he had never been to her, and she sure did love toxic men. She spent all week trying to convince herself otherwise. That it was just a phase and he really wasn't even that cute. But the more she thought about him, the more she grew attracted to him.

Kat walked with her to the Gryffindor quidditch tryouts, and took notice of her weird behavior. "You good?" She finally asked as they entered the stands, looking for Hermione.

"I'm fine. Why? Do I not seem okay?" She asked, realizing she must have come off suspiciously, because even though she had that run in with Draco over a week ago, the thoughts continued to weigh heavy on her mind. And at a certain point, it just intensifies and bursts through into your real life.

"You just seem out of it." Kat laughed a little, as she adjusted her own scarf, for it was getting cold out fast.

"Sorry, just didn't sleep well, I suppose." She made up an excuse, which also wasn't a lie, as she didn't sleep well, due to thinking about her chat with Draco, along with all the other things about him. "Oh look, Hermione!" She shouted, changing the subject and rushing over to her. Kat walked her normal pace, turning her head, confused. They all sat by each other, watching as the tryouts begun. The three cheered on Ron, and Foxfire noticed as one of the boys, Cormac, gave Hermione a flirtatious look. "What was that?" She asked her.

"I honestly have no clue." Hermione responded with a groan. She had no desire for any guy, except well, with the exception of Ron, that is. And it was easy for Foxfire to catch on to that little crush of hers. They watched as Ron began to slide down his broomstick, struggling to do as well as he usually did. When Foxfire noticed as Hermione covered her mouth, and whispered a little spell on Cormac, causing him to slip a little. Hermione glanced over at Foxfire as the two laughed a little. "Would you like to join us in the common room after tryouts?" Hermione asked Foxfire.

"Yeah, that'd be fun." She smiled as Kat leaned forward.

"We'd love to." Kat invited herself, just trying to get under Hermione's skin again.

As the group of them all headed back to the Gryffindor common room, Ginny joined them. They sat around the fireplace, talking of the tryouts, as Harry scanned through his potions book. "Have any of you ever heard of this spell? Sectumsempra?" He spoke up. Foxfire leaned forward, analyzing the book.

"No I haven't." Hermione said hastily. "And if you had a shred of self respect, you'd hand that book in!" She protested against the book that was clearly a lot more knowledgable than the others.

"I disagree. It's getting him the best grades." Foxfire shrugged, as Kat sat behind her, braiding her long silvery hair for her.

"Exactly, he's top of the class." Ron agreed. Hermione's feathers have now been ruffled, as she stood up, leaning toward Harry.

"I'd like to know whose that book was." She demanded as Harry backed away, closing the book and hiding it from her. "Hand it over!" She demanded.

"The binding is fragile." He insisted, while walking away from her.

"The binding is fragile?" She scoffed at his pathetic excuse for a response. But before he could get any further from her, Ginny pulled the book right out of his hands, opening it up, and taking a look to only read,

"Who's the half blood prince?" She asked. "That's what it says right here: This book is the property of the half blood prince." Ginny continued, before tossing it back over to Harry, who then decided it was time for him to leave.

"Well, that sounds like our cue to head back to our room." Kat insisted, pulling Foxfire to her feet. And the two left, beginning their walk back. "They are the weirdest of friends." Kat continued to say.

"That's why we fit in so well." Foxfire smiled.

"No, that's why you fit in so well. You know they don't really care about me." Kat rolled her eyes, half way joking.

"Oh, please, Kat. Maybe Hermione's a bit cold to you, but Harry and Ron love you!" Foxfire insisted. Kat nodded with a smile. She always had felt a little left out. Especially last year when Foxfire was always going to the room of requirement since she had joined Dumbledore's Army and then also was dating Theo, Kat didn't see her as much as usual. But Kat also needed to learn that the two could live their own lives and still be best friends. She just had trouble accepting it because people didn't really find themselves becoming her friend. Kat was a bit harsh to many. But Foxfire loved her anyways.

         In defense against the dark arts, Snape had been running just a few minutes late, as the class had erupted into a chaos of gossiping and teasing. Foxfire sat with her friends as they chatted away when a paper ball hit her in the back of the head. She picked it up, realizing there had been gum stuck all in the inside. She looked over to Pansy's table as the group of them laughed. Draco just rolled his eyes and looked away, clearly not enjoying this humiliation of a girl who actually was nice to him. Foxfire threw it back, as hard as she could while Pansy was turned away, laughing, and hit her right in the head.

And of course, who else walks in just as this happens, but Severus Snape. "Miss Cate, are we throwing things at other students during class?" He asked, annoyed at the childish behavior. Foxfire was ashamed, and wanted to just shout out how Pansy started this whole thing but there were two problems with that. One, she wasn't a snitch. No matter who it was, she'd never rat on someone. And two, it's not like Snape would believe her anyways since he was head of the Slytherin house and Pansy just happens to be a Slytherin. So really, what was the point in trying?

"Yes, Professor Snape." She groaned, knowing exactly what was going to happen next.

"Well, you can learn how to behave yourself in detention for the rest of the week." He scolded her, walking by and up to his podium, before beginning class. Pansy snickered with some of her table, but Draco just stared over at Foxfire. Because now, his curiosity had been peaked.