forty one

false memories and sacred hearts

        "What did you do?" Draco shouted to his mother, after all the other death eaters had left. He wasn't trying to be rude to his mother, but he was confused, and scared.

"I had to erase their memories of you, Draco." Narcissa told her son, as he sat on the bottom of the staircase, feeling a sense of defeat. "If he found out that you had been with a girl who is known to be on Harry Potter's side, you'd be killed. I had to make sure that she has no recollection of you, besides the fact that the two of you went to school together. All of her friends will have no knowledge of anything you two have done, or whatever she may have told them." She continued. Draco looked at his hands, carefully, wanting to just go find her and get all her memories back somehow. All he would need was his mothers wand, which she slowly handed over to him. He looked up at her in disbelief, but considering Harry had his, it made sense that she'd offer her wand to him. "Now, Draco, I need to tell you a story of Cristine and Caspian Cate." She hesitantly, continued, as he looked up from the wand, confused at the familiarity of the names.

"Cate?" He asked, curiously, as Narcissa nodded, slowly.

"Cristine and Caspian were Foxfire's parents. I recognized the name when I asked her who she was." Narcissa told him, before continuing. "Her father, Caspian, was also apart of the Order." She informed, as he perked up some more. "I am only telling you all of this, as I can see how important this girl is to you. But you cannot and will not let your father, or anyone of that matter, know what I am about to inform you of, am I understood?" She asked him, as he nodded, listening in carefully, clinging on to every word. "Cristine was a veela. She was charming and hypnotic to almost all men, and women, even. When the two of them met, they immediately fell in love, and shortly after, they had Foxfire, which resulted in Foxfire being part veela. As far as I know, Foxfire has no idea what she is." Narcissa explained to Draco as he recalled learning of Veela's in a class once before.

He knew that veela's were semi- human magical beings, and that they were beyond beautiful, but known to hypnotize men at times. They were dangerous, as they had ways of persuading people to do things for them, just by their enchanting looks. Which begun to make a lot of sense to Draco, as many students at Hogwarts had lusted for Foxfire since she was just a first year. She did have a track record for having quite a few boyfriend's, as well, but he didn't care about that, as they never lasted too long anyways, and clearly he had held her heart in his hands. It began to resonate with him, as to why he felt such a strong attachment to the girl.

"Right around the time that Lily and James Potter were killed, your father was sent on an assignment." She continued as Draco looked up at her once more, beginning to get a bad feeling from what he was about to hear.

"Please, mother, tell me he didn't—" he began, but couldn't finish his sentence.

"He was told to kill Foxfire's parents, yes." She nodded, feeling slight shame, even after all they've done, but she hated hurting her son. Draco shook his head, placing his face in the palm of his hands, on his knees. "So one night, while Foxfire was a baby, he went to their home, and while the two of them were asleep, he killed them, quickly." She told him. "They felt no pain, I made sure of that. But yes, your father took the lives of Cristine and Caspian Cate." She gulped, worried for how her son was going to react. "I am so sorry, Draco. But, do you see, I had to do this. I had to take some of her memories from her for the time being, as I worry that if she keeps trying to come around, the dark lord will find out from one of the other death eaters, and either kill you, or her, as we all know who her parents were. And we all know who she's supporting. I had to do it, Draco, for you." She pleaded with him, as she never wanted her son to be angry with her, so she hoped he'd understand the logic behind her reasoning.

He nodded slowly, while looking up, and then stood to his feet, walking up the stairs and back to his room. He lay on the sheet in which her scent was still on, and felt as though he'd finally lost her for good, at least for the time being. He had to give her those memories back, but now, this is what's keeping her safe, and he knew that. This is his only hope of ensuring her survival.

And even if she doesn't remember his face, he'd always remember hers.