fifty two

a day to always remember

Kat sat on the Hogwarts Express, nervously, as she didn't know anyone, and was not very skilled at making friends. She wasn't expecting to live an exciting life at Hogwarts, even at only 11 years old. She really wasn't even all that thrilled about being there in the first place, but she came, anyways. She stared out the train window, leaning her body against it, gently, resting her head on the glass to the left. A sudden voice startled her, as she looked to see a young girl, standing before her. "Is this seat taken?" The girl asked her, as Kat shook her head, awkwardly, and the girl came in, placing herself across from her. "Foxfire." She extended her hand, in introduction. Kat eyed her hand, carefully, curious as to why someone was so friendly, and so excited, as well.

"Kat." She responded, taking her hand and shaking it.

"What house are you hoping to get into?" Foxfire asked, with her face beaming from excitement. Kat wasn't entirely sure, she just knew one thing, that she had hoped she wouldn't get into Slytherin.

"Uh, I dont know." She shrugged, as Foxfire laughed a little.

"I hope I get into Ravenclaw. But my aunt says I'm more Hufflepuff material, as my father was a Hufflepuff." Foxfire smiled again, not even questioning Kat's strange behavior. And as the two talked more, Kat could feel herself opening up to the strange girl before her. And this was very unlike Kat, as she never really opened up all that much to anyone.

       The two girls entered into the castle, as Kat's worries, seemed to dissipate from Foxfire's friendliness and open arms for friendship. They entered into the Great Hall, where they stood next to one another, surrounded by all other first years who were just as eager to get sorted. As each name was called out, it caused Foxfire to grow more excited with anticipation. "Foxfire Cate." The professor called out, as Foxfire perked up, and nervously walked up the stairs to the seat ahead of all the school. She waited, as the hat was placed upon her head.

"Hmm, loyalty flows through your veins," it began, as Foxfire looked out at everyone. "You're hard-working, but you also have a witty side to you." It continued as she waited to hear where she'd be placed. "Have it be, Hufflepuff!" It roared, as she smiled, knowing her Aunt was correct in her assumptions. Foxfire stood up, smiling once more to her knew friend, and then walked over to the Hufflepuff tables.

"Katherine Harris!" Professor McGonagall called out the next name. Kat looked around, feeling her social anxiety override her body. She hesitantly, stepped forward, seating herself, with the hat going on her head.

"Interesting, I see you've got a cunning side to you, as you come from a strong line of pure-bloods," it began, as she grew a little worried, for now she had another reason to not want to be a Slytherin, that reason being Foxfire.

"Please, not Slytherin." She muttered quietly to the sorting hat.

"Oh? Another student not wanting to be put in the Slytherin house?" It questioned. "Very well." It told her as she sighed, feeling relieved. "What your mind truly desires, then, let it be, Hufflepuff!" It exclaimed as she looked to Foxfire, who smiled happily over at her. She quickly stood up, running to her new friend, as the girls beamed with excitement.

Draco set Foxfire on the ground and held onto both sides of her arms, as she continued to sob, uncontrollably. "Foxfire, you have to calm down!" He demanded, trying to snap her out of her thoughts. "This isn't over yet, and people are still fighting, I need you to just try and relax so we can get to safety, okay?" He told her as she finally looked up into his eyes. He felt remorse and pity for her, seeing this had greatly affected her mind, so he pulled her into his chest, tightly. "There will be time to mourn later, but right now, we need to get to the others." He told her, as she nodded into his chest. "Alright, come on." He grabbed her hand, and the two began running through to the great hall once more, where people stood, still fighting. Draco and Foxfire pulled out their wands and began shouting spells at death eaters who were continuously attacking the others.

Outside, they heard a commotion, and they followed it to see Harry, across from Voldemort, aiming their wands at one another. Nagini was killed, and all they could see was two bright colors, green and red, fighting against one another. Suddenly, Voldemort dropped to his knees, as his body turned to just ashes, blowing away swiftly within the wind. Draco looked up, along with Foxfire, as they stared at what was once Voldemort, and now nothing.