fifty one

i'll see you again, one day

          Draco stood with Foxfire outside the castle walls, amongst the rest of the students. They noticed as a large group of death eaters, along with Voldemort, came crossing over the bridge. Hagrid seemed to have been holding someone in his arms, and Foxfire immediately got a bad feeling of what was to now come. "Oh my god, that's Harry." She whispered to Draco, who looked down at her and then back up. It now felt as though they actually did lose the war.

"Who is that?" Ginny shouted to Neville as they stepped onto the rubble before the stairs.

"Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort announced as Ginny let out a blood curdling scream. "Silence! Stupid girl." Voldemort told her as the death eaters took their place around the opposing walls. Foxfire looked past him, noticing Kat standing with her mother nearby. Kat looked to her, not wanting to remain eye contact, as she felt she betrayed all her values and morals. "From this day forth, you put your faith in me." Voldemort demanded with a large, evil and wicked grin, before he turned back to the death eaters behind him and announcing that Harry Potter was dead, once more. They began to laugh and cheer. "And now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us, or die." He told them all as Foxfire felt Draco stiffen up.

"Draco," a voice called out, in an embarrassed tone. They all looked to see Lucius, calling for his son. Draco looked around, scared for what to do, and confused on where to go. "Draco, come." He continued, as Foxfire looked up to him, and then to his parents, before slipping her hand in with his and holding it tightly.

He glanced down at her, before looking up once again, and shaking his head. Voldemort looked displeased at this decision, as he glared over at the two. Just before he could demand Draco's allegiance, Neville began to limp toward the middle of them all, with the sorting hat in his hand. Foxfire eyed Narcissa, carefully, as Narcissa looked at her, understanding that the girl had her memories back.

"Well, I must say I hoped for better." Voldemort told Neville as he continued to approach, before stopping, while the death eaters laughed. "And who might you be, young man?"

"Neville Longbottom." He responded, with as much courage as possible, resulting the death eaters to laugh, yet again.

"Well, Neville, I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks." Voldemort joked, causing Foxfire to roll her eyes.

"I'd like to say something," Neville interrupted, as Voldemort tried his hardest to keep his cool. "It doesn't matter that Harry's gone. People die everyday. Friends, family. Yeah, we lost Harry tonight, but he's still with us in a way. All of the people we lost tonight are. They didn't die in vain!" He proceeded, then looking toward Voldemort once again. "But you will! Because you're wrong!" He shouted as Voldemort laughed to himself. "This is not over!" Neville shouted, as he pulled out the sword of Gryffindor from the sorting hat, but just as he did so, Harry rolled out of Hagrid's arms, and dropped to the ground, causing everyone to look to him, confused but overjoyed.

"Confringo!" He shouted, attempting to kill Nagini, who lay beside Voldemort's feet, only causing it to repel off, and hitting a group of death eaters. Harry ran off, as the other people did as well, and Foxfire watched, as Draco began pulling her into the castle, seeing most of the death eaters fly away. Kat ran over to Foxfire, with tears in her eyes. Foxfire leapt up, hugging her quickly, and then began to pull her into the castle with them. The remaining death eaters began throwing shots at them all, and without warning, Kat found herself hit with one of them, dropping to the floor.

"Kat!" Foxfire shouted as Draco picked Kat up immediately, noticing the wound, and they ran to a corridor, away from the violence. "Kat, oh my god." Foxfire exclaimed as Draco lay her down on the ground beside Foxfire. Kat stared up at her friend, as tears fell from both their eyes. Foxfire looked down at her abdomen, noticing the blood seeping through her black clothing. "Draco, there has to be something!" Foxfire cried, as Kat's breathing began to slow its pace. Draco shook his head, knowing there was nothing that could be done now.

"I'm sorry, Foxfire." Kat managed to choke out, as she began coughing, causing blood to pool out from her lips. Foxfire felt herself beginning to sob, as she held Kat on her lap.

"Don't be sorry, you have nothing to be sorry for." Foxfire told her, shaking her head, as Draco watched, unsure of what to do. Kat began to cough a little more, and Foxfire couldn't figure out how she could help. "Hey, hey, remember when we went to the farmhouse? And we lay in the snow?" She asked as Kat faintly nodded. "Picture the white flakes falling onto us, as we stared up at the sky. Remember that feeling?" She continued to ask her fallen friend, trying to ease her mind.

"Could we go there again?" Kat asked, clearly delirious. Foxfire nodded.

"Of course we can. We can live there, just you, me and aunt Jade. We can never leave. You can build your garden you've always wanted and I can sing to you." Foxfire smiled through her tears, trying to not let on to what was clearly coming.

"I always loved your voice." Kat said, breathlessly. Foxfire smiled again, as her tears fell onto Kat's clothing.

"And I love you, Kat." Foxfire told her, cooly, trying to make this less painful for the both of them.

"No, you don't," Kat shook her head, as her voice cracked. "But thank you for saying it." Her lifeless lips curled up into one last smile, before the breathing halted, and all signs of life left her eyes.

"Kat?" Foxfire shouted, sobbing more. "Kat, please!" She begged, but nothing would change what had just happened, as Kat was gone for good. Draco came rushing over to her side, and lifting her up onto her feet. But she felt weak, as she wanted to lay there by her friends side, and never move again.

"Foxfire, we have to go." He told her, trying to sound as sensitive as possible.

"I can't leave her like this! She can't be left alone!" Foxfire shouted at him, as he ignored her, proceeding to lift her over his shoulder and carrying her away quickly.