seventeen

holidays, part two

As the days went on, Jade took the girls ice skating, shopping, out to eat, and as much as she possibly could for the limited time she had with them. On the final night of this vacation, Foxfire felt ready to return back to Hogwarts. Being away this long made her miss it more, and mostly, miss Draco. She knew she needed to speak with him and figure out what the hell he wanted but also what she did too. And she cant make up those decisions on her own.

After returning home from dinner in the city, the girls rushed upstairs to get to bed. It was their last night there and they were exhausted, especially Foxfire. Foxfire changed her clothes into a pair of plaid christmas pajamas and climbed into bed next to Kat. "I had a lot of fun." Kat said to her as they lay across from one another.

"I did too, Kat. I'm glad we got some time away to just hangout and stuff." Foxfire smiled. Kat began to grow nervous. This trip has made her realize a lot of things, one of which included telling Foxfire her true feelings. But her nerves were getting the best of her and she couldn't help but feel shakey. "What's wrong?" Foxfire asked, as she felt the bed trembling. "Are you cold?" Foxfire laughed a little, about to get up to go grab her another blanket.

"No, no, I'm not cold." Kat looked downward, scared out of her mind.

"Then what is it? Kat you can tell me anything." Foxfire insisted, grabbing ahold of her hand.

"It's, it's not easy to explain, okay?" Kat said. Foxfire grew confused as she stared at her best friend who she thought she had known everything about. "Look, okay, so, back in first year, when we first met, I hadn't fully known myself. And I was struggling with a self identity crisis sort of thing." She began. "And uh, as we grew closer, I began to uh," she stopped herself, causing the whole room to go quiet.

"What is it, Kat?" Foxfire asked. Kat looked up from the sheets and before she could control herself, leaned forward, kissing her. Foxfire backed away quickly, and had a puzzled look on her face. "Kat, I'm not-?" She began to question.

"I'm so sorry." Kat immediately said, sitting up from the bed.

"No, Kat, it's okay, I promise!" Foxfire insisted. "You just caught me off guard, that's all."

"I just thought maybe there could be a chance or something. Especially with you talking about us living here when we get out of school." She looked down, ashamed of herself.

"Kat, I was just saying that since we are best friends. And we get along so well. And I love you, I truly do, but I just don't have those feelings towards you, you know?" Foxfire tried to let her down as gently as she could, as this was not what she was expecting. But it was okay, Foxfire knew that Kat's feelings were okay, and she felt no anger or disgust by it. She just couldn't help that she wasn't attracted to girls.

"I'm sorry." Kat stood up, but Foxfire followed after her.

"Kat stop. This doesn't change anything, okay? I still love you and you're still my best friend. No matter who you like, or what you are. Nothing will change that." Foxfire assured her, grabbing her arm. "Do you want to talk more about it?" She proceeded to ask. Kat shook her head. "Okay. That's fine too." Foxfire smiled, pulling her into a hug. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry, Fox. I know you can't help who you like." Kat finally said.

"Why don't you just come back to bed?" Foxfire told her, and the two climbed back into bed. Shortly after Foxfire fell asleep, Kat found herself wide awake, staring at the wall to the side of her, regretting this decision of honesty as tears began to fill her eyes.