twelve

a match of luck

Foxfire, Hermione and Harry sat at Slughorn's table for his dinner party. Only the highest of his classes were invited and Harry, Hermione and Foxfire happened to be some of the three. It was an awkward dinner to say the least. Not only was it uncomfortable because no one seemed to talk much, but also because Theo had happened to be there as well, causing a very strong uncomfortable tension between them all. Especially since all of Hogwarts had either seen the altercation between the two, or heard about it.

He kept glancing over at Foxfire, making her feel worse about herself, since she already felt like she was judged by others, and now he was intimidating her. Ginny wound up showing up toward dessert, clearly she had been crying for having a fight with her boyfriend, which had upset Harry, for they all suspected he had a little crush on her, except Ron who was pretty much oblivious to everything. As dinner came to an end, Foxfire walked alone down the corridors back to her room. Kat was already sound asleep, so she quickly fed Cleo, saying goodnight and climbed into her own bed, drifting to sleep within minutes.

         The following day, the gang all sat at one of the tables in the great hall. It was the day of a quidditch match against Slytherin and Ron seemed especially nervous as he sat beside Foxfire and the rest of the group. "So how was it then?" He asked Harry and Hermione as he looked down at his eggs and toast, seeming as if something had been on his mind.

"How was what?" Hermione asked in response, staring over at him as she continued to eat her breakfast.

"Your dinner party?" Ron continued, in a somewhat harsh tone.

"Pretty boring actually. But, Slughorn's having a Christmas do, you know. And we're meant to bring someone." Hermione continued to tell him. It was obvious to Foxfire that she wanted to bring him, as it was easy for her to spot when a girl had a crush, because she knew all about that. But he just had seemed annoyed.

"And I expect you'll be bringing McLaggen. He's in the Slug Club, isn't he?" He seemed even more bothered, if that was possible. Foxfire rolled her eyes, because of his obnoxious presumptions.

"Actually, I was going to ask you." Hermione scoffed at his ignorant comment. Before anymore could be said, Lavender Brown found her way to the table, pushing Kat from Ron's left side and tapping his shoulder.

"Good luck today, Ron. I know you'll be brilliant." She breathed heavily. Foxfire couldn't help but make a weird face and Kat noticed, as the two covered their mouths with quiet laughter. Hermione on the other hand, just glared her down, wanting her to leave. She then pranced off from the table and Kat moved back over next to him.

"Rude." Kat rolled her eyes, continuing to eat the toast below her.

"I'm resigning, after todays match, McLaggen can have my spot." Ron insisted, nervously.

"Jeez, Ron, what're you so tense about?" Foxfire asked, feeling his hot, wet forehead. "You're sweating like a pig." She exclaimed.

"Have it your way." Harry pushed a glass toward Ron, insinuating him to drink.

"Hello, everyone." A voice chimed in as they all looked over to see Luna seated next to Kat, as she was hard to miss with a giant headdress of a lion placed atop her head. "You look dreadful, Ron. Is that why you put something in his cup, Harry?" She looked between the two, as Hermione's face began to look concerned. Harry then put the vile of liquid luck back into his pocket as Hermione began to protest Ron from drinking it.

"Don't do it, Ron!" She exclaimed.

"Drink it, drink it!" Kat and Foxfire shouted in unison, cheering him on. And so he did, immediately feeling a relief of tension leaving his body.

"You could be expelled for that!" Hermione shouted quietly to Harry, hitting his arm.

"I dont know what you're talking about." Harry shrugged, ignoring what he had been presumed to have done.

"Come on, Harry. We've got a game to win." Ron said, cheerfully, now excited for the match to begin.

"That's the spirit!" Foxfire shouted as they all stood from the table.
And so they did end up winning the match. And Slytherin lost brutally. But it always felt especially victorious when they kicked Slytherin's ass at quidditch, so today had felt great.

But the party after, felt even better.