forty nine

remembering what was once lost

         Draco stared over at the girl who had closed her eyes, without moving. Foxfire's mind began reversing the effects of the memory charm that Narcissa had casted upon her. She began to recollect memories she had never known to exist.

All of which were of Draco. From the time she read her book next to the fire place in the Room of Requirement, and he came rushing in to begin his mission, to the date on a cold winter's day of last year, where they talked for hours. From him hiding her under the tower with Harry, where Dumbledore was killed, and then again to her giving him her entire body, and the shower. Everything came flooding back at once, which was overwhelming for her, to say the least, as she dropped to her knees in sobs. Draco slid down next to her, holding her up, as she backed away from him, frantically. "What did you do to me?" She called out. "This can't be— these memories?" She couldn't find the right words.

"It's okay, Foxfire. You're alright." He approached her slowly, and cautiously. She looked up to him, behind her silver hair and stared at his face a few moments. She reached forward, hesitantly, touching his left cheek, and before she knew it, she jumped into his arms, burying her face in his neck. "I'm so sorry." He apologized, which was very unlike him, but Foxfire made him weak, and he did the same to her. "I need to tell you something, that could make you hate me forever." He finally spoke up, knowing there would not be much time left. She looked to him, waiting for what it could possibly be. "Your parents—"

"I already know about my parents, Draco. My mother was a veela and my father was an undercover member of the Order." She told him, knowingly, as he sighed, feeling shame enter his body.

"Do you know what happened the night they died?" He asked, catching her attention once more. She shook her head. "Voldemort sent my father on a mission. Foxfire, my father killed your parents." He told her, as she sat speechless, feeling a tear trickle down her eye. "I can completely understand if you never want to speak with me again, but I needed to tell you before we continue on." He looked down, shamefully.

"What your father did," she began, catching her breath, and trying to find the right way to word things, as this was so much for her to comprehend. "Was terrible. And I can say I will never be able to find the good in him. But Draco, your father doesn't define you. You are not him, and what he did when we were mere babies, is not your fault. So I could never hate you." She shook her head, leaning forward, as he felt hope for their future once more. "Now, we need to go and help them." She told him, but he shook his head.

"We need to leave. I swore to Kat that I'd get you away from all of this." He insisted as she pulled away and the two stood to their feet.

"Where is Kat?" She asked, realizing her best friend was here, as well.

"She's back with my mother and Viola. Listen to me, we need to go. I'm going to take us somewhere far away from here, and we wont look back." He insisted, trying to hold on to her hand. But she shook her head, and stepped back.

"Draco, I can't leave them here. I can't run away from this. Don't you see? These are my friends. These are the people I love—"

"And I love you." He stated, suddenly, causing Foxfire to look startled. "Don't you see that? I'm doing all of this for you, and I need to keep you safe. There are things in this world you do not know, and things I must protect you from, and I will not have you die after I just got you back." He spoke to her, with so much sincerity in his voice, causing her to melt, just a little bit, as she had never heard Draco speak so lovingly before. But she snapped out of it, fast.

"I'm staying here. And I am helping my friends. Whether you like it, or not, Draco. This is my duty. This is my mission." She told him, as he looked down. "Now, you can either fight with me, or against me. That is your choice, but for the sake of us, I hope you choice to be on my side." She begged him as he slowly looked up to her eyes. Hesitantly, and feeling uncertain, he nodded, deciding that if he at least fought by her side, there'd be some chance of saving her.

"You've always been so stubborn." He sighed, shaking his head, and slipping his hand into hers.

"Then let's go. We need to find the others." She insisted, as they rushed from their hiding spot, and back into the chaos of war. He followed her to the courtyard, where they began to throw spells at the death eaters surrounding them. So many students had lay dead already, and Foxfire fought off her tears, as this wasn't the Hogwarts she once loved so much.