Chapter 42

Happy reading :)

"Auriga," said Dumbledore at that week's Staff meeting. "How are you finding your classes?"

"They're quite far behind," she said, hoping she didn't offend anyone. "But I'm confident we can get some good NEWT and OWL results from them. The fifth years might need some extra tuition though...It seems like all they covered last year were the Unforgiveables. Granted it's in-depth, but that's all the current sixth and seventh years did too."

"Yes," said Dumbledore, nodding, "Have you had any...Ministry instruction on the best way to catch them up?"

Auriga knew what he was getting at. "Not really," she admitted, "They just want results."

*****

"Weasley and Weasley," Auriga called to the twins as they tried to leave for lunch, "I need you to stay behind please." She waited for everyone else to leave before she spoke. "Here are your essays on Common Artificial Poisons." She handed back two essays with large Ds on the top. "They were almost identical."

"Bit like us," said the one on the left.

"If you think failing your NEWTs is funny then you may as well not take them," Auriga said and they stopped grinning. "Unluckily for you, the only potions I've made time for before your exams are healing potions, so I won't be going over this in class." They didn't look like they particularly cared. Auriga flicked her wand, and the door slammed shut, making them jump. "Look," she said, pulling up a chair and sitting down, "You know as well as I do what's going on out there, and this is the most useful qualification you can have under your belts.

"I'm confident that with the right amount of work, you can not only pass, but you can get an Exceeds Expectations," she continued. The twins frowned at her. "So, I'm going to start running extra classes, and you two will be coming along until you're consistently getting Acceptable in my classes. Understood?" They nodded. "Fantastic," she said, standing up, "Tuesday and Thursday evenings, in here. Do you have any topics that you'd like to cover in particular?"

"Um, maybe defensive spells?" suggested the one on the right.

"We do potions and creatures, so they'll be alright," said the one on the left.

Auriga wasn't convinced. "I'll have a think," she said, "Now enjoy your lunch." Now she remembered why she hadn't wanted to become a teacher.

*****

"How are things at Hogwarts?" asked Fudge, looking expectantly at Auriga.

"Terrible," she admitted, "All of my classes except my first years are behind. I honestly don't know what they've been taught."

"That's what you get for employing half-breeds," said Umbridge.

"And what about behaviour?" asked Fudge.

"Fine, I suppose," said Auriga, "Mostly just students missing homeworks or talking out of turn."

"Dumbledore acting suspiciously?" asked Fudge.

Yes. "Not really," lied Auriga, "He does have a fair few hushed conversations with staff though."

"What about Potter?" asked Fudge.

"Does his homework to an average standard," said Auriga, "Although I have noticed a few temper issues."

"Antisocial behaviour?" guessed Fudge, and Umbridge began scribbling.

"That's one way of putting it," said Auriga, "But he's quite bright."

"Could be dangerous," said Fudge, "I want his mail checked." Auriga resisted the urge to laugh. "It sounds to me as though you can't properly inspect the school at the minute."

"Well really my priority is to get the falling standards of my own subject to stop and go back up," admitted Auriga.

"It's a start," said Fudge, "But I'd like you to be more active in other subjects too. Sit in some free periods."

"I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that, Sir," said Auriga.

Fudge had a stony expression on his face. "We'll make it allowed."

*****

"So, who can give me a use of the murtlap?" Auriga asked her fourth years. It was a first year question really, which meant Lupin would've taught it to them after Lockhart had failed. But Lupin may have focussed more on spellwork, Auriga really didn't know. Or care. "Come on," she said, "I asked you to read up on it as part of your homework." Still, no one moved. "OK, you," she said, pointing, "Hufflepuff, blonde hair..." Finally the girl she was pointing at identified herself.

"Um," she said with a frown, "We use Murtlap Essence in the Cure for Boils?" she said.

"Yes, five points to Hufflepuff," said Auriga, thankful for an answer. "Healing potions. Anyone else? Lovegood?"

"I don't believe in them," said Lovegood dreamily.

"Then you will fail this class," said Auriga, resisting an eye roll. Several people snickered and Weasley glared at her. "Something to say, Miss Weasley?" Auriga asked. "Hopefully something more productive than your friend?"

"There's no need to be rude," said Ginny Weasley.

"Five points from Gryffindor," said Auriga, exasperated. "And you can have a detention too." What was it with these Weasleys? "Do you have any other uses of Murtlap?"

"When pickled and consumed they can help resist jinxes and curses," said Weasley, somewhat smugly.

"Correct," said Auriga. At least not all hope was lost.

*****

"OK, and Chang? Cho Chang?" A Ravenclaw girl at the back of the class raised her hand and Auriga placed a test with an 'P' on top of her desk. "I was really impressed with your scores," she said to her sixth year class. "No one got below a 'Poor'. If you did I'd just like you to remain behind at the end, and we can discuss some extra sessions.

"Now, today I'd like to go over chimeras, nundus, and quintapeds," Auriga said, "Who can tell me what these have in common?" Of course, no one raised their hands. "Bell," she said, "What do you think?"

"They're all rated grade five?" said Katie Bell.

"Exactly," said Auriga, "Five points to Gryffindor. Chang, can you tell me what that means?" Auriga was aware that she was the girlfriend to the Diggory boy from last year, but she'd only been two marks from an Acceptable, so she'd decided she was going to push her.

"It can kill people?" she offered.

Auriga smiled encouragingly, "Exactly, five points to Ravenclaw. And it's impossible to...?" Chang shook her head. "Train or domesticate," finished Auriga, waving her wand as the definition appeared on the board. "Write it down if you don't know."