Chapter 4: Fighting again

As Lily stepped out of her car in to the brisk morning she pulled her coat tighter around herself. Now October was here, fall had officially arrived as well. It was always Lily's favourite time of year. One of her earliest memories was running around a pumpkin patch back home with Daisy. Even with the pain that came from memories of Daisy, Lily cherished them, always remembering the happy times she had with her sister, however short lived that time of her life was.

Wolf followed Lily out of the car as they begun the short walk to the door of her practice. Lily got her keys out ready to open up when she realised the door was already unlocked, meaning Jess had already arrived.

Lily and Jess met in college and bonded instantly over their shared love of animals. As soon as they both became qualified and saved up enough money they opened up their practice together and are now even making plans to open a second location.

As she pushed open the front door Lily felt the heat envelop her, instantly causing goose bumps to cover her cool skin. Wolf ran ahead of her straight for the reception desk where he was greeted by a smiling Amber.

"Hey boy" Amber cooed as she leant over the desk to pet Wolf who was happily wagging his tail.

Amber was the receptionist, she'd worked there for a few years now. She had short curly blonde hair and the body of a supermodel. Lily always thought Amber would've been able to make it as a model but she always insisted she was right where she wanted to be. Lily also suspected she had a little crush on Chris as every time he'd come around Amber would sneak off to apply more lipstick and then subtly flirt with him. Not that Chris ever got the hint, he was oblivious to that sort of stuff. Lily made a mental note to put in a good word for Amber with him.

"Morning Amber"

Amber turned her attention from the happy boy in front of her to his owner, instantly noticing Lily's dishevelled appearance. Her hair wasn't in its usual perfect soft curls, instead just thrown in to a messy bun and she had dark circles under her eyes that she had tried and failed to cover up. Amber knew exactly what that meant. They'd been fighting again.

"Hey Lil, you okay?" Amber asked softly.

"Yeah I'm good, just tired"

"Are you sure?" Amber asked subtly, trying not to upset Lily but also showing her she was there for her.

"I'm sure" Lily smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes, it rarely did anymore, "come on Wolf"

Wolf trotted along behind Lily as they walked in to her office and she shut the door behind them. Just as the door shut, Jess emerged from her office on the opposite side of the reception desk.

"Was that Lily?" She asked Amber as she leant against the desk.

"Yeah" Amber sighed.

"What is it?"

"They've been fighting again, I could tell by her face" Amber frowned as she stared up at Jess.

Jess was the only one who never bit her tongue when it came to Jack. She didn't care what he thought of her, she would always stick up for Lily because she wants what's best for her and Jack is not what's best for her.

"Would you mind running across the street and getting us all some coffee and a few pastries Amb?" Jess asked as she took a twenty dollar bill from her back pocket. "I'll talk to her"

"Sure thing" Amber smiled as she stood to grab her coat before she left, leaving Jess and Lily alone in the building. They still had another half hour before either of them had any appointments, which gave Jess just enough time to try talk some sense in to her friend.