Chapter 48: Soulmate

"Chris what is..."

Lily gasped as her hands came up to cover her mouth and her words were cut off by the sight of her boyfriend knelt down on the wooden bridge before her.

Chris grinned widely up at her but she could see the nerves written all over his face and suddenly his odd behaviour all made sense. Lily instantly felt her eyes well up with tears as she stared down at the love of her life and he hadn't even said anything yet.

"Lily" Chris started before he had to immediately clear his throat as he felt himself getting choked up just watching a tear drop down Lily's cheeks.

"Bumble bee, I have loved you since the first moment I set eyes on you in that hallway back in school. I have known since that very moment that you are the one for me, I tried for years to get you out of my head because I was convinced you could never feel the same way about me, but now that I've somehow managed to get you to fall in love with me, how I will never know"

Lily giggled as she struggled to hold back her tears, Chris reached up his hand to take Lily's left as his other went to the pocket of his jeans.

"I am so madly in love with you Lily Winters, you have no idea how long I've been planning this, how long I have wanted to ask you this and I thought what better place than here, I wanted Daisy to be able to be a part of this"

At the mention of Daisy Lily lost it and the flood gates opened, tears streaming freely down her cheeks. Chris pulled a little red velvet box from his pocket and opened it expertly with one hand, revealing the most beautiful and also extremely familiar engagement ring.

"Is that my great grandmother's ring?" Lily asked between shaky breaths.

"Yes baby it is, your Mom gave it to me, actually she gave it to me back before we were even together, Christmas before last, said I should keep it safe until you were ready for me to put it where it belongs and I think now is the perfect time. Bumble, will you marry me?"

Lily sobbed loudly as she aggressively nodded her head, unable to form words as she threw herself at Chris causing them both to fall to the ground, Lily lying on top of him as they both giggled and she attacked his face with kisses.

"Lily will you please be careful you only just got your cast off I don't want to have to take you back to the hospital" Chris chuckled as he framed her face with his hands, but Lily could hear the sternness in his voice 

"Also, I'm gonna take that as a yes" Chris laughed as he wrapped his arms tightly around her.

"Obviously" Lily sobbed before she crashed her lips onto his, both of them pouring out all of the love they felt for each other in to the kiss.

When he pulled away Chris smiled brightly at Lily as he sat up, keeping her pressed to him as he moved her to sit in his lap. He took her hand in his and removed the ring from the box. Tears streamed down Lily's face as she watched him slide the ring on to her finger, it was a perfect fit.

"I love you so fucking much Chris, like so much it hurts" Lily smiled brightly as she pressed her forehead against his, gently rubbing their noses together as she felt Chris's hands grip her hips, his fingertips rubbing gentle circles on her skin under her coat.

"I love you too Lily, more than you'll ever know, I hope you know that I am going to spend every single fucking day of the rest of my life treating you the way you've always deserved and I will protect you with my fucking life baby, you have my word"

Chris inhaled a shaky breath as he felt Lily's tears drop on to his cheeks mixing with his own. Lily knows Chris hasn't fully forgiven himself for what happened to her, even though it was absolutely not his fault, she knew he carried that guilt around despite her protests.

"Chris you can't keep blaming yourself for what happened, it's not healthy"

Chris shook his head as he avoided her gaze, "But Lily if I had just..."

"No Chris stop this right now" she interrupted him as she gripped his face in her hands so he had no choice but to look at her, "Chris did you drive that car in to me?"

Chris squeezed his eyes shut as he flinched at the thought of the accident, the image of Lily lying helpless in that hospital bed flashing through his mind.

"Chris answer me"

"No, I didn't" Chris sighed as he opened his eyes and saw Lily's beautiful brown ones staring back at him.

"Then you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about, do you understand me?" she spoke sternly and Chris couldn't help but smile, he loved it when she bossed him around.

"I understand"

"Good" she smiled back as she lent down to press a gentle kiss to his lips before pulling back slightly, "now I think we have some celebrating to do"