Chapter 7: Sour

A few hours later people had started arriving, a few more than Chris expected but he wasn't complaining it had been a while since he really enjoyed himself. He stood by the kitchen island pouring himself a drink whilst greeting people who had just arrived, he was happy to be able to see all of his friends again.

He took a long sip of his drink as he looked around the room noticing most of his friends had already shown up. Well apart from one. He still didn't even know if Lily was going to be there, he hadn't heard anything from her.

"Chris?"

His thoughts were interrupted by a voice behind him, he turned to see Amber stood there smiling at up at him.

"Amber Hey" he smiled as he lent his body down slightly to embrace her shorter frame, clearly he caught Amber off guard as she froze to start with before she relaxed and returned his hug.

He pulled away as he fully took in her appearance, her short blonde hair fell in perfect curls and was complimented by her bright red lipstick. She was wearing a white low cut top that perfectly pushed up her cleavage with a black jacket and black leather skirt. Chris couldn't deny that Amber was an extremely attractive woman.

But she's not her.

He shook his head slightly, pushing those thoughts to the back of his mind. He smiled down at Amber along with a wink seeing a visible blush cover her cheeks.

"You look fantastic" he smiled as he watched Ambers cheeks blush an even darker shade, "Can I get you a drink?" he asked as he gestured to the array of liquor bottles spread across the island.

"I'd love one" she smiled as she stood beside him. He held up a bottle of whiskey in one hand and vodka in the other, gesturing for her to pick one.

"Vodka soda please" she replied politely before he began to pour them both a drink.

"I'll remember that" he smirked as she nervously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I'm really glad you came"

"Me too, thank you for inviting me" she smiled shyly as she took a sip from her cup that he passed over to her.

"I've actually wanted to ask you out for a while" he winked as he eyed her over the rim of his cup before he took a sip, maintaining eye contact the entire time. He watched as Amber almost choked on her drink. Little did Chris know the entire ride there Amber had convinced herself he was just being friendly, she didn't want to get her hopes up, but now he had confirmed his interest in her she could barely contain her excitement.

"Are you okay?" he asked concerned for her as he lightly patted her back. Amber coughed a few more times before she managed to steady her breathing, internally cursing herself for being so fucking awkward.

"Yeah I'm good sorry, drank too quickly" she laughed it off, trying to concentrate on not making a fool of herself again, "so this is a date?" she asked trying to be as flirty as she could after having just choked.

"Well I thought we could get to know each other a little more" he smiled as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, noticing how Ambers breathing picked up as he gently caressed her cheek. "Then I'd like to take you out on a proper date some time, if you'd like that?"

"Yeah I would" she smiled, trying her best not to sound too eager, even though she was pretty sure she failed.

~~~~~

About half an hour later Chris was on his living room couch beside Amber, laughing at a joke she just told. He was surprised by how funny she was, he'd never even thought about striking up a proper conversation with her before but now he was wishing he had months ago. Although no matter how many times Amber made him laugh, no matter how many stories she told him, there was this nagging voice at the back of his mind telling him that she could never compare to Lily.