Vol. 1 Chp. 5: Midterms

'': Writing
'': Sign language

May 1st came and went by, and before we knew it, the school week was over. Ike and the others started paying attention in class. Only Sudou continued sleeping in class, but no one tried reprimanding him.

It was lunchtime, and I was leaving the classroom to go to my usual spot.

"Kagurazaka-kun!" I turned my head only to see Horikita. She looked slightly angry and perplexed.

"Come with me," she said.

Cafeteria

She could have told me that she wanted to eat lunch with me. We walked over to an empty table and took our seats.

"I'll treat you to anything, so... order anything..." Horikita trailed off as I placed my large bento on the table.

I pushed the premium lunch set over to her and started eating.

Horikita clicked her tongue, but she kept a composed expression.

"I was planning on starting a study group. Since you got 0 points on your test, I wanted to get you to join," she said.

I shook my head, declining her invitation.

"This is a dire situation for you, Kagurazaka-kun. You need help with the upcoming midterms," she told me.

She's right... I am in a dire situation but I don't need help with the upcoming midterms.

'Horikita... I barely know you, but getting called a defective has been messing with your head.'

"Aren't you frustrated, though? Our class is treated like we're at the bottom of the barrel," Horikita's tone shifted to anger.

'I'm not going to get upset over the fact I was placed in the right class,' I continued eating my lunch, ignoring Horikita's perplexed expression.

Horikita's POV

He's confused as Ayanokouji. I don't understand either of them. Why don't they want to strive and reach Class A?

He even saw through the plan that I used against Ayanokouji.

Did Ayanokouji tell him about it? No... Kagurazaka has been keeping his distance from us.

Why should I be worried about him? If he fails, that's his fault.

Evening

Kagurazaka's POV

I was lying in bed when my phone started ringing. I checked to see who was calling; it was an unknown number.

...

Hang up.

I placed my phone down and closed my eyes.

...

RING RING RING

I hung up my phone again.

...

...

...

RING RING RING

Hang up.

Number blocked.

I'm not going to answer a random number.

Next day

I arrived at the library looking for the person who invited me. It didn't take long for me to find Ayanokouji. He wasn't alone, though. Horikita and Kushida were with him.