Vol. 5 Chp. 1: Sports Festival Info

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

"The surnames of the students divided up in order of the zodiac animals were the key to figuring out the 'target' then."

As summer vacation ended, Hirata, Karuizawa, Horikita, and I gathered at the farthest table in the busy cafe called "Palette." We discussed the shipboard particular exam earlier and reviewed the answers to the search for the "target" challenge, which was conducted in mixed teams divided into groups of the 12 zodiacs.

"The rabbit is the 4th in the zodiac. Ayanokouji-kun, Ichinose-san, Ibuki-san, and Karuizawa-san. It would continue in that order."

"I see. If that's the order, then I'm the 4th. That's why I was the 'target' then."

Upon seeing them, Karuizawa nods in approval. Despite their initial mismatch, the presence of Hirata somehow erases their incompatibility. It's a mystery.

"But you know, that rule is straightforward. Almost anyone could understand it. That means the Dragon group Horikita-san and the others belonged to was the 5th, so Kanzaki-san would have been the 'target,' right?"

Having heard the answer, Karuizawa inserted the straw into the pack and sipped milk.

"Finding the answer during an exam can be challenging, even if you know it. Even with three potential examples from your class, proving the rules that determine the targets may not be easy."

"What about Kagurazaka-kun?" Karuizawa asked, "Didn't he mention knowing who all the VIPs were?"

That's true. He even managed to stop Class C from winning. Ryuuen was certain his class would prevail.

"Yes, but he isn't here to explain," Horikita turned to me, "Weren't you supposed to invite him?"

I tried... The moment I mentioned Karuizawa would be there, he disagreed immediately.

He's undoubtedly holding a grudge.

"What worries me is Class C. During the middle of the exam, Ryuuen-kun discovered the rules," Hirata changed the topic.

"But, isn't it strange? If that's the case, why did he make a mistake?"

"I also felt uneasy about the situation. While there was a significant risk involved, if he knew and followed the rules, it wouldn't have been surprising if he had managed to identify all the 'targets.' In essence, there should have been no errors."

However, judging from the situation, Class C gave a wrong answer. Did Ryuuen bluff about knowing all the targets? Kagurazaka gave our VIPs, but I don't think he told Ryuuen about who they were. 

Horikita then voiced the deduction she had made from a slightly different perspective, "Even if Ryuuen-kun seemingly dominates Class C, couldn't it be that it's not monolithic? There should be more than a few people dissatisfied with his dictatorship."

"Certainly, that's true. The right to answer is given to all students, so students who did not comply with Ryuuen-kun's plan or those he failed to control made a blunder. That line of thought can not be ruled out either. If they give a correct answer, they gain many points. "

The conjectures of Horikita and Hirata follow a good line of thought. However, it's also a fact that one can not say why; if there were a traitor, Ryuuen would thoroughly root out that individual.

"What do you think about this, Ayanokouji-kun?"

Due to such an act from Horikita, both Hirata and Karuizawa turned their eyes towards me. I ended up unconsciously choking from that overconcentrated gaze on me.