Vol. 8 Chp. 4: Bath Time

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

Ayanokouji's POV

Classes are still being held at the outdoor school on Saturday, which would have been a holiday during our school life. However, the schedule is different from that of the weekdays. The classes end in the morning, and the rest of the day is reserved for our free time. The particular exam that began on Thursday is already on its third day. There seems to be discord brewing within the group, which started around 5 o'clock in the early morning.

"Aaaah, I'm fucking sleepy!" At the outdoor cookhouse near the school building, Ishizaki screamed.

"Everyone's in the same boat. Ahh, please measure it so you don't mess up the amount of miso," Keisei warns him while flipping through the paper on which the breakfast menu was written that the teachers had given us.

"Shut it. Why do I have to participate in cooking the meals in the first place?".

As he moved his hands to stir the miso, Ishizaki did not stop cursing.

"It can't be helped, right? There's the possibility we'll incur a penalty if everyone isn't assembled here," Keisei said.

"I don't care, shit... ahh."

"What's with that 'ahh' just now?"

"Nothing..."

"No way, that was nothing. Where's the salt you had in your hands!?"

"I added it all."

A large amount of salt was accidentally brought by Ishizakickly, who put out the fire and tasted the soup, but he coughed due to the excess salt.

"You put too much in it, ugh! It's not drinkable..."

If you gave that miso soup to the senior students, you'd get bashed severely for it.

In the first place, it's terrible for your body.

"Nothing for it but to make it again."

"Don't fuck around. If we're making it again, then you start over from scratch. I mean, what about Kouenji?"

"I don't know what to do with him," Keisei said.

"You're in the same damn class."

While glancing at the two of them quarreling over miso soup, Hashimoto skillfully handled a frying pan on top of the stove while cooking an omelet.

"You're quite the dexterous one..."

"It's because I always cook my meals," Hashimoto said without a hint of pride and briskly continued cooking.

Albert approached Hashimoto silently. In his hands, he carried a bowl with scrambled eggs in it.

"Thank you. If you don't mind, can I ask you to cut the vegetables too?"

Albert skillfully swung a kitchen knife on the chopping board despite his large frame. There were many mouths to feed, so Hashimoto cooked the eggs one after another. As for cooking, these two seemed to be our aces. On the other hand, I had the undemanding task of preparing raw vegetables and tableware.

However, it was still a lot of work since I had to prepare vegetables for everyone. I couldn't help with the china, but I felt I should help cut the vegetables. As I stood beside Albert, he looked at me silently, and I tried to communicate with him through eye contact.

"Can you handle it? Cutting vegetables, I mean."

"Probably."

We understood each other well enough, and he gave me the kitchen knife. Fortunately, I had used one before, even if only a little since I had started living in the dorm. I cut the vegetables, trying to keep up with Albert's skill. However, I couldn't help but wonder where Kouenji had gone. He had said he was going to the toilet more than 30 minutes ago, and students from classes A and B were sent to look for him. However, they haven't returned yet, so they haven't found him.