Vol. 11 Chp. 4: Final Exam

Ayanokouji's POV

I went to the designated location for the commanders in the building. There, Sakayanagi and Ichinose, who had arrived before me, were engaged in idle chatter. From the looks of it, we weren't allowed to enter the multipurpose room yet.

"Good morning to you, Ayanokouji-kun."

"Mornin', Ayanokouji-kun."

They greeted me simultaneously, and I lightly raised my hand.

"It doesn't seem like we're allowed to go in just yet."

"They told us to let them know once all four of us arrived."

The school was determined to conduct the exam fairly. If you enter the multipurpose room before the other commanders, you can calm your mind and adjust to the atmosphere of the testing grounds before anyone else. 

As it was a significant exam, it was crucial to take every possible measure to ensure fairness.

"It seems we're just waiting on Kaneda now."

"Yep."

I looked around. While there was still no sign of Kaneda, there was no way he'd risk being late.

"At any rate, you sure are lucky, Ichinose-san."

"Eh? Lucky?"

"As they are now, Class D is no different than an infant. Their chances of beating your class are pretty much nonexistent. All you have to do now is see how many wins you can pile up. Class B might even change places with Class A if you win seven events in a row. That is, depending on how Class A performs."

"Oh no, there's no way to tell what will happen. They'll probably be desperate, so we can't let our guards down."

Seeing Ichinose steel her resolve like this, Sakayanagi let out an amused smile, which prompted Ichinose to speak up again.

"Huh? Did I say something weird?"

"No. You spoke like you're at the top, ready to take on anyone. At the very least, I understand that you don't view Class D as your equal. Just what I expected from the one who protected Class B for a year."

Sakayanagi's words were slightly mean-spirited. However, Ichinose didn't let it get to her.

"Class B also came here with a strategy, ready to win. We won't lose easily, especially in an exam like this where unity and cooperation play such an important part."

"I see. That wasn't nice of me. It certainly is as you say, Ichinose-san."

I gazed out the window nearby as I eavesdropped on their conversation. The weather was pleasant, with April just around the corner - bright and sunny with no clouds. 

After about five minutes, we realized that he might be running late. At last, we heard the sound of faint footsteps approaching from the other end of the hallway.

"Well, it doesn't seem like he'll be late. I guess he didn't lose his nerve and give up either."

Sakayanagi expressed her thoughts, amused that Kaneda would be showing up at the last moment.

Ichinose also seemed to be bracing herself as the exam was finally about to begin.

We each took the liberty of envisioning what was about to happen.

We would join Kaneda after he arrived, and the four of us would enter the multipurpose room together.

However, an unexpected person showed up instead.