Vol. 8 Chp. 5: The Results

'...': Writing
'...': Sign language
"...": Text to speech

Ayanokouji's POV

It was day six of the exam as we were training for the marathon. Keisei and Ishizaki were arguing, and I could feel the sign behind us growing distant. I don't think anyone has noticed that Kouenji left the road and wandered into the forest. This wasn't a mere detour, as I couldn't see him, and there was no sign of him returning.

"How troublesome..." I muttered.

As I searched for any signs of Kouenji, I noticed he was picking up his pace. This was concerning because we were on a trackless path, which could cause trouble if he lost his way. I decided to quicken my pace even further, and after walking for another 100 meters, I finally spotted Kouenji's back. 

Looking at him reminded me of a similar situation on an uninhabited island. However, at that time, Airi was with me, and Kouenji had managed to shake us off his tail.

"Kouenji," I called out to him.

"Well, if it isn't Ayanokouji Boy. I don't believe this is the proper route," he said.

"There's still the matter of joint responsibility, after all. Why did you decide to take a detour like this?" I asked.

"I caught a glimpse of a wild boar. That caught my interest, so I chased it," I was having a hard time believing that.

"You may relax. In time, I shall return. If it's me, it won't even take 30 minutes," Kouenji said.

It looks like I will have to take his word for it.

"By the way, do you still have some business with me?" He asked.

Kouenji said.

Perhaps he's noticed I still haven't said my piece since I haven't left yet.

"It's about the day of the exam. I want you to lend the group a hand," I said.

"That's something I'm rather sick of hearing."

"You don't have to get spectacular scores. Just go about it normally."

"You don't get to decide that. I do. You know that don't you? If you'll excuse me then".

Kouenji said so and moved to leave, but I grabbed his arm and stopped him. Since he tried to take a step forward without acknowledging it, I had no choice but to step up my game and hold my ground.

I expected him to resist more strongly, but for some reason, Kouenji relaxed instead.

"Fufufu. I see. So that's how it is, Ayanokouji Boy," Kouenji chuckled, his arm still in my grip.

"What do you mean by 'that's how it is'?"

"I'm talking about the identity of the person who tamed Dragon Boy."

"Dragon... what are you talking about?".

"I'm talking about the naughty boy named Ryuuen."

"What do I have to do with that Ryuuen?"

"Seems like you're pretty good at playing dumb. You don't let anything slip when you feign indifference."

"I don't know how you got to that conclusion."

"Right now, you're touching my arm like this. I can tell from the heat transmitted from that contact."

I had figured he was far from ordinary, but it looks like Kouenji's even more of an oddball than I am. So he's telling me my grip on his arm led him to that conclusion, huh?